TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
He sure will.... Hey Bill???? :tongue: Like Rich said man, Yes, No, Yes. SW has a single turbo installed all the way to the back, the camaro guys uses that setup because I think it's easy and probably because of the space. The problem with our cars is the lack of space. If you see under the hood, there's no way you can put 1 or even 2 turbos in the engine bay. Im not saying it's impossible, but if you want it done, you need to pony up the mula bro, not cheap. There's is alot of piping involved, hoses, IC, BOV, but like I said, not impossible. If you want to learn more about turbos, read the sticky, it will at least answer some of the general question about boost, etc. Hope this helped a little.

Israel

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Yup...been there done that. The one and only Turbocharged Modmotored Thunderbird.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
...that anybody has ever verified to anybody else here...to the best of my knowledge...etc.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I strange feeling Bill is patting himself on the back. I would be.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I was told time and time again that it couldn't be done and that it wouldn't work. That just spurred me on to build it. It's still not perfect, but it's really nice so far. Just a bit more to do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey Sir William, do you have a web page with pics of your car? I've looked around in the members gallery and elsewhere and can't come up with anything. I need to see this engine everyone's talkin' about.

D

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I've got a bunch on my PC, but it's been having issues lately and giving me fits. As soon as I can get it stable for more than 20 minutes, I'll edit and upload the pics.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
There are much better pics. I need to pull some of those and categorize them on the turbothunderbird.com. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey SW, I like the pic of the tires man :tongue:

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
Hey SW whens that going to be a bolt on kit ready for the masses

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you start with a V6 there is plenty of room, for the 4.6...
This looks like it may be an easy conversion from Mustang to Tbird.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yeah looks like the exhaust pipes route through the suspension and not the engine bay, but the mustang has a lot more room overall for routing and thangs than the bird does, but Im sure it would be possible.
-Thomas

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hmm putting it way in the back... what about lag? Just seems like alot of pipe. Clean pipework though looks very clean. You don't plan to use that silicone coupler on an exhaust pipe do you? It will catch on fire if it doesn't melt first. You're gonna have to weld it. Use an exhaust flex section (either braided which is best or corrugated which is "ok").

Actually you might want to shield the air induction pipe from the exhaust pipe. Heat is the number one factor for detonation, and detonation is the number one factor in turning a turbo engine into a microwaved popcorn kernel.

What are you doing for fuel requirements for that biggie turbo? Just curious.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
well if you look closely, bill only has the silicone couplers on the intake piping, which is fine, the exhaust piping is welded. And the air filter should have absolutely no problem with heat seeing as its in the rear bumper getting plenty of open air, and it also has a water shield on it too.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 102 Posts