TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a huge fiasco getting exhaust work done, I had iterated to my girlfriend's mechanic that the tbird has a 2-1-2 setup and there is nothing to be gained from that second muffler/tailpipe and he should just delete the y at the tailpipes and have a single pipe running to a single muffler. He didnt listen and it cost us extra money.

Is there any advantage to 2-1-2? Is that second exhuast path really helping anything?

The reason I am asking is that guy welded it wrong and use cheap crap pipe for the centersection so its stainless steel->rusty pipe->stainless steel. I was thinking of lopping the entire passenger side of the Y off and welding the opening closed and save a few pounds in the process.

Will I lose any hp or is 1 tailpipe adequate? I would think the real restriction is in the center section.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Pete

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm guessing the extra bend and the Y-pipe is enough to cancel out any flow gains from an extra muffler, so performance wise it wouldn't make a difference but you'd get to loose some weight which is always good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly.....

I wanted to see if anyone has actually tried it or if there would be a "dont do it man, you'll choke off the motor!" reaction...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Well, that one leg at the rear would only 2.25, not 2.5 like the center section, right? 2.25 from each header->y pipe->2.5->split to 2.25 at rear. If it was 2.5 all the way back, it would be better, I wouldn't get rid of one side at the rear if it is 2.25.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt realize the center pipe was 2.5...

Well, now I'm torn between weight loss and exhaust restriction.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Bangster said:
Well, that one leg at the rear would only 2.25, not 2.5 like the center section, right? 2.25 from each header->y pipe->2.5->split to 2.25 at rear. If it was 2.5 all the way back, it would be better, I wouldn't get rid of one side at the rear if it is 2.25.
I thought the same thing but I found out that its actually 2" from the the exhaust manifold and then I'm a little confused about the rest. Anyone wanna set the record straight?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
It's 2" off the manifolds, through the cats to the resonator or 3rd cat. Then it's 2.25" back to the Y and 2" (or 2.25") to each muffler. There is no 2.5" stock on any of our cars.

I have 2" into 2.25" into 2.5" into my rotating muffler then 3" out the back. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, in that case, a small patch pipe running from the 2 1/4 inch end directly to the flowmaster inlet would accomplish the same as what we have right now.

It might have less escape path but the pipe would be straighter. ..

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I crawled under my 97 to measure, and it APPEARS that I have 2.25 to cats, 2.25 off Y to back, tail pipes after they split seemed to be 2 inch, but no real good place to measure that I could get to. No 2.5 found anywhere, and now that I look at it, the dynomax setup seems like it will be way better than stock, I don't need stainless steel, aluminized steel will last forever here, the trick is to paint the welds. I need to spend some time under it and look at it closer and figure out what I want to do.

Now that is a 97 with a 4.6, not a 93 with a 302, there could obviously be differences. And the pipe after the split in the back might be 2.25, I couldn't get to it real well, I was doing this on my lunch break on a hot car :)

The 1995 NVMA thingy posted on SCCOA (I wish I could find it for 97) shows:

3.8 NA - 2 inch all the way
3.8 SC - 2 inch from manifold->2.25 intermediate->2 inch tailpipe (which could be after the muffler?)
4.6 NA - 2.25 from manifold->2.25 intermediate->2 inch tailpipe (which could be after the muffler?)

With variations for California, Manual tranny, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
The stock exhaust system at least on a 4.6 goes 2" after the mainfold to 2 1/4 then after the Y pipe it goes all the way down to 1 7/8 its pretty small

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crap, so that means I need to keep the PS pipe....

2->2 1/2 -> 1 7/8 is not going to cut it.

I'm going out there with a caliper tonight to measure it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts