TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title implies has anyone tried those koolblue air intake kits, do they do any good?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I haven't, but there is no reason to use anything other than a paper panel, except for cost savings by re-using the cotton (or foam) ones.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What about increased air flow and better gas mileage???????????????
These seem like good reasons to use better flowing air filters....I put K&N in all my vehicles......

·
8,239 Posts
measure your gas mileage before and after installation of this filter and let us know what you get.

You won't notice anything except a louder intake noise.

Also the KN filters have oil in them, which is not good for a MAF equipped vehicle, it splatters oil on the MAF wires and will cause your car to run poorly if you don't keep them clean.

Stick with a paper filter, if you want a cone then get a paper cone.

If you don't insulate your cone then you are defeating the purpose and sucking in hot engine air.

In other words save your money.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I got 2-3mpg better fuel economy on my Caprice when i installed a K&N. Also, my friend has been running a K&N in his '96 Tbird without any problems.

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
With my K&N filter and cai I also noticed an noticable increase of gas mileage, I drive a lot of highway miles and at 71mph I am at 1900 rpms when at first I was at 2000-2050 rpms. It stays at 2000 rpms when I go 72 mph up to 80 then at 81 I am at 2100 when as before I was at 2100 rpms at 78 mph. Of course my exhaust set up helped but I had the exhaust done first then the cai.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Palmguy said:
The AOD is locked in OD, isn't it? I would not see how a filter would change your cruising RPMs...:confused:
Yeah, it is... this is going to be another one of "those threads" isn't it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes it is true about 2-3mpg with K&N compared to stock paper filter...I have checked gas mileage on every car I use them on and it has improved...What other proof does one need??????????????????????????

·
11,719 Posts
djoc2000 said:
Yes it is true about 2-3mpg with K&N compared to stock paper filter...I have checked gas mileage on every car I use them on and it has improved...What other proof does one need??????????????????????????
Sorry, no one has ever proven that cotton or foam filters give you any noticeable gains. However, it has been proven that they allow more dirt into the engine. I use a K&N because my experience with them has been good, and I'd rather clean and re-oil once a year than shell out more $$$ each year.

The problem with the oil on the MAF wires comes from over oiling. You'd be surprized how little oil your supposed to use. It comes oiled, but with WAY too much oil on it. The directions even say to clean it and then oil it before use.

when I install my 02GT airbox, i'll just stick with the paper filter.

·
11,719 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
these guys claim to have tested it and proved it, results showed that you won't get the advertised 10-15 hp but there was a gain. Check it out, let me know what y'all think:
http://www.corral.net/Tech/Engine/iceman/iceman
That's more than just a filter, and it moves the MAF, so it's alot more than just a filter.

djoc2000 said:
Here is some more evidence....Some of these are a little long....Its a fact these flow more air....If I'm not mistaken doesn't our engines run better with more air???????[/URL]
Yes, but when something isn't a restriction to begin with, replacing it with something that flows better gets you nothing. To make the stock paper filter a restriction, you'd have to have well over 300hp, and you'd have to have hp numbers in the 1000s to get the 10-15hp they claim.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okie dookie lol, ok, what would be the best, cheapest, and most practical way to increase power in my car ive heard chip and 02GT MaF. Realize i Live in the smog nazi state of california. So headers is prolly out of the ? where can i get the exhaust manifolds ported and extrude honed, and how much of a gain is there from doing that?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Hate to sound like a sales marketer, but membership at TCCoA gives you a 20% discount on Extrude Honing.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dont know whether to start a new thread or revive another thread i had but, let me tell u, i make a measily $400 a month, 18 yrs old, my dad takes half for gas an insurance :mad:. I am going to school though geting my Comptia A+ certification and server+, next semester im gonna start training for my MCSE. These are IT certifications. Anyway, my car nonetheless, has issues..... The interior needs some work, i need to fix the door panels on both sides, needs a new kick panel on passenger side, paint could be better....., the brakes suck, althought they arent warped, pads seem fine, needs new Ujoints sounds like clunking from rear end. Good news is, my transmission and motor are in good shape, no lights on the dash or anything. Hell if i get a really good job i can just buy a new car, 98 mark 8s fully loaded are bout 12-15k, problem is maint costs..... provide feedback. Also if u want an idea of what my car looks like look at this linkie, looks pretty similar to it, cept for the wheels otherwise same thing even on interior http://search.usedcars.com/details.asp?id=31FALP62W0VH172704

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
If you pay 12-15k for a Mark 8 you're getting ripped off, unless it has 20,000 miles or something on it. Those cars routinely go for 5-9k depending on mileage around here. I'm in CA too, and if you want some cheap power you can still pass smog with, get UD pulleys, a chip, MAF and 3.73 rear gears. Don't waste time with headers.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well UD pullies an 3.73s r out of the ?. im gonna put a stereo in it soon so no pullies. 3.73s are too low of a gear ratio, if anything id get a trac-loc 3.55 rear end. But anyway, my dad just bought a computer, and it comes with a free digital camera so i can take pictures of my car an upload it to you guys. If u guys think bout it if i had enough money a new car is more practical than modding this one. Wouldnt mind getting a Lincoln LS with a v8.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts