TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I wanted to replace my gutted cats and start cleaning up things on my '95 Bird. I found a place online that sells an entire hi-flow cat setup, basically the entire "Y" from the headers to the catback. The company is called Discount Converters.

Check it out here: http://www.discountconverter.com/converters/index.htm

Just select Ford and you can eventually find the 1995 4.6L T-Bird listing.

I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with them and/or anyone here has used this setup for their vehicle? Is this a good setup, and will it be alot better than these lousy gutted cats that I have now? Decent price?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The same hundred put a set of hi flo Dynatech Metal matrix cats in my car (I paid 299 for the cats from Jeg's ) Its a cleaner, straighter install, and I picked up 24 hp with em ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I could find an exhaust guy who would do that. Every single one I talk to gives me the same old "it's against the law for me to put in aftermarket cats" shpiel.

With this, I can just rip the old one out and bolt this in myself.

Of course, if there are any other sites you guys could point me to that sell complete hi-flow "Y" 3 cat setups like this for less, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

·
8,239 Posts
you can get universal cats on ebay. It is only illegal to buy aftermarket cats in california, and you need to buy OBD2 cats that cost more money but you can still do it yourself.

Exhaust shops are ripoffs, they want to sell you an overpriced cat, when you can buy a highflow for like 19 dollars.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
EdwardNorth said:
I wish I could find an exhaust guy who would do that. Every single one I talk to gives me the same old "it's against the law for me to put in aftermarket cats" shpiel.
That's when you take him aside and introduce hi to your good friend Mr. U. S. Grant. :xpwink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did have an idea for a custom built header-back exhaust. It would go something like this --

I'd only have 2 cats total, one hi-flow cat out of each header but no 3rd cat. From there the pipes would Y together into maybe a single pipe, and then head into a Magnaflow 1-in 2-out muffler under the center of the car. From there, there would be 1 pipe going to each side of the rear of the car and they would end in nice straight-back 2.5 or 3 inch chrome tips.

Now would a setup like this be too loud? Would it probably have a good sound to it despite volume? And would this be a pretty good setup to allow for performance gains of some kind? I'd use 2.25 pipe to connect this whole thing together, except for the tips.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
EdwardNorth said:

With this, I can just rip the old one out and bolt this in myself.

Of course, if there are any other sites you guys could point me to that sell complete hi-flow "Y" 3 cat setups like this for less, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)
Most shops wont put new cats on if the car is not 10 years old there is some stupid epa law so now its 05 which makes your car 10 years old try asking again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts