TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About the best engine? 3.8, 4.6, 5.0 and all the power upgrades possible? I did a search but got a few thousand results.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yea, there have been those discussions. Problem is, there will not be an absolute answer to the question, least not on our forums, people are always going to argue which is better... no matter how much factual information is posted.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the debate is usually between the 5L and 4.6L, as almost everyone including 3.8L owners think the 3.8L is a crappy engine.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Yeah, it definitely comes down to personal preference and just how deep you want to dig into the motor.

I LOVE my SC.. I used to be dead-set against the 3.8 until I got behind the wheel of this thing.. :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
3.8 SC all the way. It's the strongest stock and the cheapest to mod until you get to a point that few people get to.

Plus you get to brag about having a V-6 in your car after beating V-8's.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Actually the 5.0 is probably the cheapest to mod. I was thinking only of the 4.6 when I said that. But the other points are valid.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
All 3 engines are different from eachother. It depends on what kind of person you are. Do you want to be like everyone else? Low money? Get a 302. Do you want to be more of a one-of-a-kind? Go mod a 3.8 NA and get it into the 13's. In the future the 4.6L will be the engine of choice. Time will tell if mods get cheap. I like my 4.6L, it has an AWESOME power band. Perfect for me. I'm a 4.6L guy, but I would love to have a 5.0, and a 3.8 SC. I love them all... my problem is MONEY. Just like the flat-head ford guys, back in the day that was the engine of choice for hot rodders. The chevy small block replaced that. This is how I understand it. Basically, It's YOUR choice to see, feel, and experience the engine of YOUR choice... Don't ask anyone else what engine you should think is best. =)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, all you guys have great points. My next question, what would be the easiest to put into a 93 Tbird?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have owned a 3.8 N/A, a 5.0 as well as my 4.6. Personally, my favorite has been the 4.6. The down side to my love for my engine is that it's the most expensive to mod.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Linzy623 said:
Ok, all you guys have great points. My next question, what would be the easiest to put into a 93 Tbird?
Go to the junkyard and get a 5.0 (302) out of a 93 mustang, along with the tranny (auto or 5spd) rebuild it (or have it built) shouldnt cost a lot of money. 3k will get you a [email protected] machine. You will have to do some wiring and some computer stuff. I'm sure you can ask some 5.0 guys who have done a 5.0 swap. There should be alot around here. =)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AnthraxBird said:

Go to the junkyard and get a 5.0 (302) out of a 93 mustang, along with the tranny (auto or 5spd) rebuild it (or have it built) shouldnt cost a lot of money. 3k will get you a [email protected] machine. You will have to do some wiring and some computer stuff. I'm sure you can ask some 5.0 guys who have done a 5.0 swap. There should be alot around here. =)
Do you think a shop would put in a manual? Or do you think I would have to do it myself?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Linzy623 said:
About the best engine? 3.8, 4.6, 5.0 and all the power upgrades possible? I did a search but got a few thousand results.
This is a great question to ask I think.

I have only driven the 4.6, but I think it is the top engine for choice because of the newer technology of the OHC compared to the 3.8 SC and 5.0 with harmonic balancing and what not.

The 3.8 SC has gasket issues I believe, but other than that isn't it the MOST expensive to mod?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Put a 5.0 in your 93. You won't have to fabricate motor mounts, wiring won't nearly be as difficult, and the 5.0 was made for that car.

I have a L1C 5.0 computer for sale if you're interested. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
these are long terms plans I just need to know what I need to save for, so I am getting all my info now, you guys are great help!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
Wasn't the MN12 platform designed for JUST a 6 cylinder engine? They just so happened to cram an 8 in there.
Considering 89/90's were only 3.8 I believe you are right. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts