TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 4.6 but im looking to upgrade to a 5.0 or better yet 5.8. how hard is this, cause if i do it i probably will get it from a junkyard and rebuild myself, weel actually someone will help me. what are parts cost to get everything to make it run.

·
Registered
477 Posts
a 5.0l is not an upgrade it is a downgrade. The 4.6l enigne can be a more expensive item to upgrade but in the long run the eec is more advanced then the 5.0l eec, ie eec v to eec iv. In addition a stock 5.0l or 5.8l does not make more power then a stock 4.6l depending on the year. You could get a set of pi heads with a pi intake and all that or a whole motor for a lot less then rebuliding a 5.0l engine.

Will

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
mechman1984 said:
a 5.0l is not an upgrade it is a downgrade...
That is a matter of opinion. I personally also prefer the 4.6 but that is probably just because I like keeping things somewhat original. If you go with a carbureted 5.0 you can build the crap out of it and have way more power than a 4.6 for the same amount of money.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
This is more complicated than he thinks. There are negatives and postives of these swaps. I suggest buying a car that already has a 5.0 or even a 3.8 to do this swap, keep the 4.6 car modular. You can big bore the 4.6 to a 5.0.
Alan

·
Registered
161 Posts
The swap to a DOHC motor wouldn't be nearly as complicated as a swap to a pushrod motor. And you can pick up complete Mark VIII DOHC engines (with less than 100k) on eBay every day of the week for about $800. Better power, better milage, less cost, less headache.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
Let me add to the list of those that say "don't do it". If you were starting with a 5.0 car then you have a lot of choices. However, if you are going to totally gut the car and put a carbed 5.0/5.8/347/393/408/etc. then go for it. Just don't go with stock heads or anything like that. It's not going to be cheap either so be prepared to invest $5000+ if you want it to be fast. If you don't want it to be fast then I just don't see the point of doing it.

If you are going carbed look up _95badbird and 392bird as both have 351W-based setups running in their cars.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
First things first, what are you looking to do with the car?
Are you wanting to stay EFI, or go the carbed route?
Are you worried about emissions?
How about ride quality?
How much is your budget?

So, are you wanting to do something like this....

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Heads

Hello

If you want to go with 302 or 351w base engines you will need aftermarket Heads + shorty headers. If you go fuel injected or carb you still need heads.
Remember that the 302 or 351w won't bolt up to a 4.6 trany.

Paul

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Swapping a pushrod engine into a modular car makes for some headaches. I've been working on putting a 351C into my '94 for nearly two years now. It hasn't taken so long because it's been ridiculously hard (more like expensive and I have severely limited free time) but swapping in a DOHC would have been much easier. It depends on what you want, though. If you just want more power, swap in a PI or DOHC engine and be happy. If you want to do things the hard way, go for the pushrod.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if your serious about doing a 5.0 look at using a explorer 5.0 and trans , its a 4r70w and is obd2 you would need the harnesses and pcm off the truck, it would be a unique car , and i cant say that anyone has done one yet . now, i did a v6 to 5.0 swap on the 89 , and it was a pia, being you havea v8 your fuel pump and chassis already there, but different engine trans and electrical could be a nitemare, i dont know your mechanical abilty is though , so. listen to these guys , you would be better off with a dohc swap or a pi swap, and your emmsions for the area matter

btw to the nay sayers, ill take my pushrods over an 4.6 or mod engine anyday , they still have it, need to make them again

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
jk89cat said:
if your serious about doing a 5.0 look at using a explorer 5.0 and trans , its a 4r70w and is obd2 you would need the harnesses and pcm off the truck,
Yah know i was thinking of doing that for my '96.. But i'm one that's `If it ain't broke..' type of people so.. Mind you one of the #7 or #8 fallower (sp??) is clicking away nicely.. and that and i seriously baby or hardly drive it.. (2 years with it, only put 10,000miles onto it :eek: )

But couldn't you also just use the Stock (MN12) EEC-V?? just change some plugs, extends some wires, swap over sensors, ect.. and have like Lonnie or any SCT person to make you a chip to get it to work correctly??
I know the crank and Cam sensor would be different, but would like ECT, TPS, ect be that much different??

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
you would have to check with him, i dont know about that end

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I would stick with the 4.6 they are not really that much more expensive depending on the route you take. It depends on what you want. You can also carb the 4.6 also 2V or DOHC.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
in a 1995 you can swap in a EEC-V Mark VIII engine (94-96 model years) without much modification. All it really requires is the thermostat housing, hoses, alternator (if engine doesnt come with it), larger injectors are recommended (if doesnt come with it) and a computer chip.

Mark VIII 4.6L DOHC
290 HP @ 5,750 rpm
295 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 4,500 rpm

I got my 95 DOHC off eBay for 300 bucks. Got all the gaskets, plugs, wires, rod & main bearings, piston rings for 300 bucks. Ported intake and heads for free (I do it myself) 98 cobra cams for 100. And I'm looking for 300rwhp (roughly 370-380 crank hp)

-Thomas

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thomas said:
in a 1995 you can swap in a EEC-V Mark VIII engine (94-96 model years) without much modification. All it really requires is the thermostat housing, hoses, alternator (if engine doesnt come with it), larger injectors are recommended (if doesnt come with it) and a computer chip.

Mark VIII 4.6L DOHC
290 HP @ 5,750 rpm
295 lbs.-ft. of torque @ 4,500 rpm

I got my 95 DOHC off eBay for 300 bucks. Got all the gaskets, plugs, wires, rod & main bearings, piston rings for 300 bucks. Ported intake and heads for free (I do it myself) 98 cobra cams for 100. And I'm looking for 300rwhp (roughly 370-380 crank hp)

-Thomas
Just to be clear you cannot use the 95 mark viii pcm in a 94 and up thunderbird. The 93-95 mark vii pcm's were eev-iv ie 60 pin not the 105 that eec-v systems are. In addition the 93-95 dohc motors are a direct drop in no mods required other then legthening two sensors, ect and another, as well as rewiring two actuators, tps and another. the upper radiator hose was the only thing that really was not usable between the mark and the tbird but a 87 ford ranger upper hose worked without modification. Finally the heater core lines also required some fabrication.

Will

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
mechman1984 said:
Just to be clear you cannot use the 95 mark viii pcm in a 94 and up thunderbird. The 93-95 mark vii pcm's were eev-iv ie 60 pin not the 105 that eec-v systems are. In addition the 93-95 dohc motors are a direct drop in no mods required other then legthening two sensors, ect and another, as well as rewiring two actuators, tps and another. the upper radiator hose was the only thing that really was not usable between the mark and the tbird but a 87 ford ranger upper hose worked without modification. Finally the heater core lines also required some fabrication.

Will
I thought it was just the 93 mark viii that was eec-iv. Good to know. Well, you use the stock tbird computer anyway, like you said.

Also, you need to either modify your transmission cooler lines, or get those from a mark viii. I just got mine from a mark viii along with a bunch of other misc things for the swap. 45 bucks for the t-stat housing, alt bracket, passenger exhaust manifold, tranny lines, and 24lb injectors :)

-Thomas

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thomas are you talking about going from a 3.8l to a dohc or a 4.6l to a dohc? Everything between the 4.6l motors is exactly the same, you only need to buy them if you motor didn't come with them.

Will

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Ive got a 95 4.6L Im swapping the DOHC in to. I'm using the mark viii coolant hose system instead of modifying all the stock stuff. The DOHC doesnt have a t-stat housing inthe intake, it's got its own external housing (Im sure you knew that, just stating) also, my 95 doesnt have 24#'s, the exhaust manifolds are different between sohc and dohc, alt is different, and so are the tranny lines.
-Thomas

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thomas said:
Ive got a 95 4.6L Im swapping the DOHC in to. I'm using the mark viii coolant hose system instead of modifying all the stock stuff. The DOHC doesnt have a t-stat housing inthe intake, it's got its own external housing (Im sure you knew that, just stating) also, my 95 doesnt have 24#'s, the exhaust manifolds are different between sohc and dohc, alt is different, and so are the tranny lines.
-Thomas
The coolant system is indeed different with the t-stat in the external housing. The mark viii motor came with 24 lbs injectors from the factory. The manifolds are indeed different, the alternator is different but will plug right in. The tranny lines for the tbird do work but are alot of effort to get back in without bending them so i had braided lines made up with fire sleeve. Actually i have my trans lines for sale since my t45 swap, if interested pm me.

Will

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
my engine came without the fuel rail and injectors, so I had to find my own. I already got the mark tranny lines too, so no need for the braided stainless, thanks for the offer though.
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts