TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I need some help...My wife's car didn't pass emissions today. The NOx reading was almost double what it should have been here in GA. Any ideas as to what would cause this situation? Thanks for any help,

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
NOx occurs from the combination of Nitrogen and Oxygen, due to combustion temps above 1400deg. The only successful way I have heard was to replace the convertor(s). make sure to get a "3-way" as most "2-way" cats do not reduce NOx emissions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PLEASE tell me it might be something else...we replaced her convertor just a year ago to the tune of $250. I know convertors don't just "go bad" ...if it is the convertor, can you think of something that might cause it to go bad like this? Her plugs are just over a year old, it doesn't have plug wires (great thinking there Pontiac:rolleyes: ) The check engine light hasn't come on, although it has been overheating lately. The odd thing is that the needle doesn't indicate it's running hot, it just starts boiling over. Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Is it the Quad 4 or the 6?

Quad 4 had a headgasket issue that rivels the 3.8 for Ford plus the head almost always warp.
I say this from experiance from both sides of the coin.
if your headgasket is bad this may be what has clogged the cats and caused the bad readings
also have you replaced the O2 sensors?
This may help...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the Quad 4. We had a mechanic come out and look at it, and you guys were right. The convertor was shot. From what we heard, whatever brand was on there wasn't good and had gone south. I took it back to the muffler shop and they replaced it for free with a different brand high-flow unit. I like a place that aims to satisfy their customers! Thanks to both of you for the advice,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts