TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its pretty much general knowledge now that running no mufflers whatsoever is illegal, but up here in Washington there isnt any visual inspections. I just recently straight piped my tbird (with the resonator and cats still intact) and its loud, but it doesnt sound loud enough to justify being pulled over for. Some hondas I hear are definitely way louder. So I am just curious as to if any of you have been pulled over or ticketed for your straight piped exhaust.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't know for sure but I'm 99% sure it's fine not to have mufflers... Atleast here in Tennessee. What's illegal is not having cats.

I have been pulled over for "reckless driving" but I assure you it was the straight pipes that got me in trouble. They didn't say anything about my exhuast. It's happened twice actually. No tickets to date (knock on wood)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Having mufflers or not is irrelevant. The law states that the car cannot be over a certain decibel limit at a certain distance from the car. Unless the officer has a decibel measuring device, and depending on how by the book the judge is, you may be able to get out of a ticket if you can prove you are within the law. Most officers go "by ear" in their enforcement of this, so if you can prove you're legal by your local laws (I would consult state and city laws) then you should be able to get out of the ticket.

However, having owned several loud cars (1985 Cougar XR-7 2.3 Turbo where the exhaust pipe rotted off behind ahead of the catalyst, a 1974 Trans Am with 4" side pipes with next to no mufflers in the pipe, a 1985 Cougar LS with a 5.0, straight pipes all the way back with glasspacks on the ends, and my current 97 Thunderbird with a dual in/out mid mount magnaflow and glasspacks on the ends) I have yet to be pulled over for "loud exhaust". Usually, someone either needs to file a noise complaint, or you have to be ripping on it in the officer's vicinity to get the officer's attention, and they're looking for anything else they can find to bust you with by that point.

So, get to know your local noise ordinances (google searches are very easy for that), get a decibel meter 72-935 - TENMA - METER, SOUND LEVEL, 40-130DB, 3.5DB | Newark element14 (can get apps for free, for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kr.sira.sound&hl=en or Iphone https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/decibel-10th/id448155923?mt=8) and measure it, make sure you're legal, and then don't worry about it.

And here's a Washington state sound ordinance, which says that 60db in residential areas, reduced to 50db between 10pm and 7am, but can be exceeded for temporary purposes (driving through a neighborhood for example). So look up your local ordinance and go from there. You measure 25 feet from the source, and you'd rev your engine to cruising speed because you're hopefully not redlining it in the neighborhood. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,141 Posts

Seriously though, I've never been stopped for it. And although I'm 100% convinced police hold a double standard for motorcyclists anyway, I hear Harleys and crotch rockets clear as a bell from a mile away in the summertime, never once seen a motorcycle pulled over for it(or pulled over period, even for something truly obnoxious...).

·
Super Moderator
7,555 Posts
Only time I ever got pulled over for loud exhaust was in my 79 Firebird when I was 19 years old, and I was running open long-tube headers. I ran the car like that for a couple months, and got pulled over 3 or 4 times for the open headers, only one ticket though, which was only like $50 at the time. These days, I would rather try to find ways to make my car quieter without sacrificing performance, and I couldn't imagine driving something more than a few miles with open headers, let alone it being my daily driver for months.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Only time I ever got pulled over for loud exhaust was in my 79 Firebird when I was 19 years old, and I was running open long-tube headers. I ran the car like that for a couple months, and got pulled over 3 or 4 times for the open headers, only one ticket though, which was only like $50 at the time. These days, I would rather try to find ways to make my car quieter without sacrificing performance, and I couldn't imagine driving something more than a few miles with open headers, let alone it being my daily driver for months.
What? I can't hear you over the open headers!

Maturity sucks, doesn't it? :)

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
When I looked into it, here in WV we have an "unreasonably loud" law which obviously is highly subjective and the state does require mufflers (although you wouldn't know it on any given day). The legislature has tried to pass a law prohibiting aftermarket exhausts but thanks to SEMA Action Network and others, it has failed to get past committee.

You have to be aware of local ordinances as well. Just because the other guy is louder won't work as an excuse.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have straight pipes on my 32V bird and I think it's quiet. Needs to be louder lol. The cops here in my town are very strict but I've never had a problem with them... Like most have said, no mufflers are fine just don't drive like a ricer and the Five-O will leave you alone.

Chris C.

·
Super Moderator
12,235 Posts
What pisses me off about these laws that prohibit after-market exhaust or "other than stock" exhaust is that the damn Harley's that are louder and more obnoxious than anything else around are perfectly legal under these irrational laws.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Thats one of the things about the MN12 as long as you dont make your car too flashy you can fly under the radar.
This is wonderful, really; this is totally true.
I prefer quiet, high flow pipes; I don't want every cop in earshot to hear me having fun.
And apparently, we look like a Panther platform to the uninitiated, in the rearview mirror.

The best performance oriented muffler is clearly a turbocharger.
Go for it.
-g
I like your solution; quiet, yet effective!

When I looked into it, here in WV we have an "unreasonably loud" law which obviously is highly subjective and the state does require mufflers ...
Every state pretty much requires mufflers; lack of a separate muffler can get your car towed.
As can too-dark window tint... :grin2:

The big thing is to not get on the radar, so to speak; you do not want to be noticed at all.

:grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
The police in my area, Renton, Kent, don't seem to be too picky about mufflers. I've never been pulled over for noise. Never heard of the Harley types get into trouble about noise either.
Also--
My 2 sports cars have never had front license plates, which is mandatory. Never been pulled over for that, and I drive by the local cop shop twice a day.
And most sporty type cars, Corvettes, Porsches, etc. don't wear front plates either.
I'm told the police DO pick on Microsoftie type yuppies in Bellevue for front plates on their sports cars, but that's the only exception I know of.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The police in my area, Renton, Kent, don't seem to be too picky about mufflers. I've never been pulled over for noise. Never heard of the Harley types get into trouble about noise either.
Also--
My 2 sports cars have never had front license plates, which is mandatory. Never been pulled over for that, and I drive by the local cop shop twice a day.
And most sporty type cars, Corvettes, Porsches, etc. don't wear front plates either.
I'm told the police DO pick on Microsoftie type yuppies in Bellevue for front plates on their sports cars, but that's the only exception I know of.
Id run no front plate if there werent already holes in the bumper cover from the mount.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
The only time I got pulled over for that reason was back in 1997. I was pulled over in a 94 4.6 Tbird with Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers. There was a Mustang or Camaro in front of me at a red light and the police car behind me. When the light turned green the car in front took off a little fast .. shortly after that, the cop lit me up. He came up to the window and said it was illegal to have a modified exhaust. I asked why he didnt go after the car ahead of me for taking off fast. He said ... your car looked cooler and he wanted to check it out, he didnt give me a ticket, but informed me that it wasnt legal to modify any part of the exhaust system including the muffler. >:)

Ive never ran a front license plate on any of the dozens of vehicles Ive owned over the last 20 years .. probably at least 10 fix-it tickets for that one. Not long ago they changed it to about a $70 fine instead .. still havent got one of those but if I do ill just pay it up bruh.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What ... Hell I'm goin deaf...
Seriously, I have been pulled over for loud exhaust on all my cars at one time or another simply because I was doing something I knew was a bad idea, like removing the cats and just putting open down tubes on to go play around a bit... Never ticketed for any of them, however I have been given a good long talking to by the many officers and told to act my age..

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
What pisses me off about these laws that prohibit after-market exhaust or "other than stock" exhaust is that the damn Harley's that are louder and more obnoxious than anything else around are perfectly legal under these irrational laws.

Ron, they don't care what pisses you off ROFL!!

I've been stopped twice for mine over the years but never given a ticket. But the Prick in VA flat told me that mine was illegal after a traffic stop that had nothing to do with me except I stopped to insure a friend was ok. The State Officer had the audacity to tell me that my exhaust was illegal in his state. Considering I didn't live and reside in his state I kindly informed him that it may be but to notice my inspection sticker and tags registered in WV and to notice It had just passed inspection in my state and I was only passing through. He didn't like it but went on about harassing my friend about his windshield and registration. The other Officer was a bit more calm when he came up to the car and stated it was a nice car and just asked to see my insurance and registration. They were good so there was no more issue after that.

A lot has to do with also how you handle them when they approach the car and act in dealing with them.

You just never know. Most officers are reasonable though.

·
Super Moderator
17,141 Posts
Lots of cops are ride off duty I've found, so that whole brotherhood nonsense plays a big part IMO

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have been pulled and given a ticket for my car being to loud. Cop said every one was pointing at my car for him to pull me over. My car was dumb loud at the time. Ported manifolds, no cats, x pipe , mandrel dual 2.5 exhaust with no mufflers. Hurt my ears to drive it lol. Have tripple chamber MagnaFlows on it now and I wish it was louder lol.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts