TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the prefferred repair manual to use??? I bought a Chilton yestertday but soon realized that their schematics although very helpful NEVER COVER MY YEAR!!!!! I've used Haynes before but sometimes theirs is just too vague with removal and installation procedures....

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree - Helms! BTW - it's all the same Helms info on the CDs and DVDs you often see for sale, though the DVD versions have updated navigation software, making it much easier to find stuff than the CDs. The DVDs don't start until 1996, though...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hayes is better than Chilton. But I decided to go one better..... I got a factory service manual on eBay for like $25.... way better than my Chilton!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Haynes and Chilton manuels suck, spend a few extra dollars and get a helms which is just as good as a Ford manuel if not better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All I ever used was Chilton, so I do not know which one is better. I have found Chilton to be a great resource and reliable. A manual can really only get you so far and most of what I do is just try different things and figure it out for myself. One thing I wish Chilton had was pictures of all the special tools, but I do not know if any brand provides that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Ford manual has illustrations of the at least some of the special tools. I don't really like the idea of a CD manual, I like to have it there with me when I'm working on my car... but whatever floats your boat :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Jimbobicus said:
The Ford manual has illustrations of the at least some of the special tools. I don't really like the idea of a CD manual, I like to have it there with me when I'm working on my car... but whatever floats your boat :)
True, I have a 94 Ford service manual and a 96-02 on CD. For the ones on CD, you could just get a laptop and tote it out to the shop :D

Joe

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Haynes suck.....When i needed to replace my window motor, heres what it said
"Leave thisup to the professionals at a dealership"

IM LIKE WTF ............Only thing that book is good for is test fitting my upper intake before I had my 1 Inch phenolic spacer. What a peice of trash.

My .02$ best thing to do is just look over the Ford service manual, and then call all around your local dealerships parts/service dept, find a guy who knows what he is talking about and is willing to share his knowledge with you, and when ever you run into a problem, pick his brain for the solution, My guy is Ray at Beau Townsend Ford Here in Dayton.

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts
whitecoug said:

True, I have a 94 Ford service manual and a 96-02 on CD. For the ones on CD, you could just get a laptop and tote it out to the shop :D

Joe

Print it out. That is what I do when I use tech articles off the internet. Besides my chiltons manuals look filthy because I bring them out to car with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts