TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't buy one. I did, and I have yet to use it for anything because it doesn't have anything in it that would be helpful to me. Maybe I just don't have any problems that a repair manual would ever cover, but so far it has not been helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Don't buy one. I did, and I have yet to use it for anything because it doesn't have anything in it that would be helpful to me. Maybe I just don't have any problems that a repair manual would ever cover, but so far it has not been helpful.
LOL, should be the first thing to buy, together with a Chilton and a Ford Service/Repair Manual CD.

-Maic

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL, should be the first thing to buy...
Thats what I thought but it seems to be more for major problems or something like that. I need something for maintenance I guess. I don't know, it just seems like whenever I need to look something up, I look in it, can't find and, and go "Why did I buy this?". This website is much more helpful than that book.

Also, I have a 97 and this book is clearly not really made for a 97. It says 89-97, but when looking through it I go, "What, that's not there".

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah they took apart a 93, but most of the time its helpful enough.

I have a 96 Service manual and 93/94 CD.

·
Super Moderator
9,261 Posts
My dad bought one when we had 90 and 93 3.8s, and it got him through replacing the head gaskets... but once I started working on my 97 it wasn't very helpful. I just went out and found a deal on the Ford factory service manual on ebay for about $15.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Get the one from Helm, it weighs more than the car itself, but it has EVERYTHING, including maintenance.
The problem with Haynes is that they don't account for all the small but important changes that happened over the life of the MN12.
These guys are both correct, sdavis.

If you really want to do anything hard to your car, you will want the helm manual.

The intake swap, transmission swap, diff swap, door locks... there's a lot of good info there.

The Haynes has a convenient page for torque specs; too bad they don't agree with the helm manual in several important places... mine says the tranny pan bolts get 67ft/lbs on them, lol. I think they meant 6-7, but even that's still wrong. :)

Now if I could just find a 97 Mark VIII helm manual... They've been out of stock forever.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I will have to check my 97 CD but I think the Mark VIII is on that.

Helms is worth it's weight in gold. I have the 1996 specific Helms manual and it is thicker than 2 Chilton 89 - 97 Cougar/Tbird and 2 Haynes 89 - 97 Cougar/Tbird manuals put together. Yes I mean, 4 of the crap( firestarter ) manuals versus 1 good one. The Haynes and Chilton manuals are identical. I couldn't find any differences in either, same pictures and everything. I had all 3, only 1 now and I don't think it is hard to figure which 1 I kept.

·
Banned
754 Posts
These guys are both correct, sdavis.

If you really want to do anything hard to your car, you will want the helm manual.

The intake swap, transmission swap, diff swap, door locks... there's a lot of good info there.

The Haynes has a convenient page for torque specs; too bad they don't agree with the helm manual in several important places... mine says the tranny pan bolts get 67ft/lbs on them, lol. I think they meant 6-7, but even that's still wrong. :)

Now if I could just find a 97 Mark VIII helm manual... They've been out of stock forever.
I trust the Helm manual for torque specs, though I do have to wonder sometimes... my lug nuts required a torquing that still left a bit of room for an impact gun to turn'em.

·
Super Moderator
9,261 Posts
You can easily over torque your lug nuts to 125-150 ft-lbs or more.... they only need 85 or so.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bump time. Does anybody have a link (or can point me in the right direction) for the Ford Factory Service Manual CD downloads, or equivalent? I'm far too cheap to shell out $75 for a Helms book, and the Chilton/Haynes manuals are still worth less than the paper they're printed on. Ford seems to be shutting down the CD download sites as they pop up, as that link tbirdguy posted is already gone in just over a month.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bump time. Does anybody have a link (or can point me in the right direction) for the Ford Factory Service Manual CD downloads, or equivalent? I'm far too cheap to shell out $75 for a Helms book, and the Chilton/Haynes manuals are still worth less than the paper they're printed on. Ford seems to be shutting down the CD download sites as they pop up, as that link tbirdguy posted is already gone in just over a month.
Just buy a Ford factory service manual off ebay. I think I spent $45 shipped for mine. It's handy to have it on paper instead of needing a computer anyways.

I agree with the OP about the Haynes/Chilton's manuals being worthless. I basically used mine just for torque specs until I got my Ford manual. The worst part is how vague they are. There is nothing specific; remove this, remove that, reassembly is the reverse of removal. No good specific info to the vehicle.

-Rob

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
the only thing its good for is their wiring diagrams as the big thick service manual doesnt have any wiring diagrams. other then that the haynes is trash but i have both you never know it could come in handy for something

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
the only thing its good for is their wiring diagrams as the big thick service manual doesnt have any wiring diagrams. other then that the haynes is trash but i have both you never know it could come in handy for something
If you buy the seperate EVTM manual (which I don't have yet), it should have all the vacuum and wiring diagrams.

-Rob

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
If you buy the seperate EVTM manual (which I don't have yet), it should have all the vacuum and wiring diagrams.

-Rob
i've seen very very few of them

1 - 20 of 22 Posts