TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the headgaskets on my mom's 1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8L N/A have gone to crap. So, I finially got around to tearing down the engine this weekend and was suprised by what I found. It was a lot worse then what I thought it originally was. There were signs of coolant on the rocker arms and in the tops of the heads, coolant sitting in the engine valley, along with the nice "coffee" mixture. Also, when I pulled the heads, I found 4 of the 6 cylinders full of coolant, just sitting on top of the pistons. The car has sat like this for about 2 months. My mom first said something about the temp guage "acting funny" about 2-3 weeks before it really got bad and I told her to stop driving it.

Sooo... with that being said, I'm concerned that the rings and main bearings might be damaged at this point. What do you guys think? Will I be alright with just replacing the headgaskets and going on with it, or will it just sieze up in another 2,000 miles?

I'll try and get some pics taken tommorow of the carnage

Thomas

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
You've got a 3.8 shortblock and core heads don't you? I'd say just put that in. I wouldn't trust the engine after it's been driving with that bad of a leak AND sitting for 2 months with it in there.
-Thomas

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that 3.8 Shortblock I have is in no better condition. It's a bit worse actually.

Thomas

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
I thought it was running good when it was taken out? Oh well. I've got a 90sc engine for sale if you wanna swap that in :D
-Thomas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts