TCCoA Forums banner

Head Gasket Replacement

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BJL 
#1 ·
I am in the process of doing a head gasket on a 1990 super coupe. I am at a point now where I am stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to get the bracket for the fuel rail/pressure regulator loose from the back of the engine. In looking at alldata and various pics online, the bracket appears to be attached with one nut on a stud. I have removed that. But the bracket still won't slide free. Until then I can't remove the last bolt on the intake and proceed any farther. Can anyone please give me some insight on what is the process for removing this stubborn bracket? Thanks in advance. Really want to get this car running again, its a 5speed.

#3 ·
My 90 was a stud with 2 nuts….and it was a huge PITA. Someone had told me about it before I started, but it was still a ***** to get at. I dunno if maybe some have bolts and some have studs, but I'm pretty sure mine had the stud with two nuts. I'd suggest using a small telescopic mirror to get a look at it

#4 ·
there was a stud for a bracket to the water pipes and then a stud for the fuel rail when i changed the Fuel pressure regulator on my cougar 2 months ago. but yes. pain in the ass. i ended up using a stubby wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.