TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Just finished the gaskets install on my 1994 Tbird 4.6. It started right up, let it run to normal temp shut it down, checked oil and there is water in it and looking further I see water coming out the tail pipes as well. (history):The heads were surfaced and checked, and new head bolts and geskets. Help! don't know to do at this point. This the second time I've done this the first time the heads were bad.

Thanks,

P.S. Followed the the torque specs and sequence to the letter.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Some things to condider if it was just water in the oil, and fuel coming out of the tailpipes.

#1 - Gasket on your oil filger bypass assembly. You know, on the drivers side of the block, the one that also had a coolant connection :eek: If the gasket is a bit old, you'll have coolant and oil mixing, not good.

Flush all that oil right away, do NOT run the motor at all with water in the oil.

You will wipe out your bearings in the bottom end.

After you correct the coolant source, then flush out with deisel, and oil, then fill with oil and run it for a short time and check again.

Now if you had coolant in the tail pipes, you may have cracked heads, or if the block deck had a groove that was missed on re-assembly that would do it as well.
You did not say they re-finised the block deck, just the heads. (many engine builders do this even on brand new blocks).

You didn't just overbore your shortblock or anything did ya, lol.

Good Luck.

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
It's normal for some water to come out of the tail-pipes... the cat's turn harmful chemicals to water.. and sometimes it doesn't all get out and pool's in the exhaust. Then the next time you fire it up it will drop out finally. Did you have anything covering the engine when you were doing the gaskets? Did you leave the car outside, or in an unclimate controled garage or building???

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
birdwatcher51 said:
...The heads were surfaced and checked, and new head bolts and geskets. Help! don't know to do at this point. This the second time I've done this the first time the heads were bad...
That's the scary thing about aluminum heads. You can have a tiny crack that cannot be seen. As soon as it heats up, the crack expands into a gaping rupture. When it cools down, it is invisible again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts