TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what type of heads you would suggest to compliment my tfs street heat intake, 70mm tb, and f303 cam. i was considering gt-40 y303's or afr 165's. any input would be nice also include the best prices you guys have found on heads. thanks a lot ahead of time!
-mike-

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
i think you should add a head to your list, the trick flow twisted wedges. They are a very nice compliment
to the street heat intake. I don’t know that the ‘f’ cam is the best compliment to those heads though.
The AFR’s will be better on the very top end but the TW’s will do great everywhere else.
My choice was the trick flows.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't the twisted wedges require special pistons that have larger butterflies cut into them?

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
don't the twisted wedges require special pistons that have larger butterflies cut into them?
They are advertised as working with a stock bottom end. I do believe that is with 1.6:1 rockers and a somewhat "standard" cam.

As a thought, contact Trick Flow. They were very helpful when I built my engine so I would say that they would help you out.

What are your goals for this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Wedges should work with the F303 the specs on it are pretty close to the TFS stage 1.Its always best to check piston to valve clearance though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i want a street strip car, i will have dry nitrous in the future. something in the 300+HP range(don't know if thats realistic or not). i do have the crane 1:7 pedistal mount rockers so ill have to talk with trick flow to see what they say about it. are there any other options for me below 1200 bucks, i do prefer new heads. let me know what else you guys come up with

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
i want a street strip car, i will have dry nitrous in the future. something in the 300+HP range(don't know if thats realistic or not). i do have the crane 1:7 pedistal mount rockers so ill have to talk with trick flow to see what they say about it. are there any other options for me below 1200 bucks, i do prefer new heads. let me know what else you guys come up with
Well, I think your goals a VERY reasonable. That's a nice change.

I know that you can get the TFS heads cheaper than the AFR's. I honestly don't know much about the Ford Y heads. I believe that in all three cases you will be looking at new rockers anyway since they all use stud mount rockers. I think that's a good thing though. 1.7 rockers are good if you are bolting them on to a stock engine and stock cam but, from what I can see, they aren't good for the long haul since they are harder on the valve train. Go to 1.6's and let the cam do the work it's designed to do since all cam specs that I have seen are usually based on 1.6 rockers anyway.

Again, contact your manufacturer. Personally, I liked the idea of using a matched system so that I could make sure I was making power where I wanted it. To each his own though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
AFR165s come in pedestal or stud mount,the GT40Ys come in Pedestal only i believe,and the Twistedwedges come in stud only.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if someone would be interested in purchasing my ne pedistal mount rockers or trading i would go with stud mount. i bought them intending to put them on the stock heads. so if anyone wants them just let me know.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
well if someone would be interested in purchasing my ne pedistal mount rockers or trading i would go with stud mount. i bought them intending to put them on the stock heads. so if anyone wants them just let me know.
I would advertise them on the For Sale forum here for about a week then put them on Ebay. You should be able to get a good price for them either way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone know a good deal on stud mount 1.6ers? what brand too? so many options, so id like some input on how they perform.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
anyone know a good deal on stud mount 1.6ers? what brand too? so many options, so id like some input on how they perform.
I can honestly say that I have no idea what is considered good and what is not. I have the TFS 1.6:1 roller rockers and they seem to be working find but I'm sure there are others here that can provide much better input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The B cam has a really lazy lowend.It'll need at least a 3000 stall convertor,but with the weight of these cars you'd really be better off with the stock cam.The Trickflow stage 1 is what i'd get with the Street heat and a set of Wedges.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I know I’m going to step on a lot of toes here, but as far as I'm concerned.....generally all "alphabet" cams suck. Most people pick them because A) they're cheaper than the others, B) most don't understand cam specs at all and just pic them based on advertised operating range and C) because one of their buddies (who probably doesn't know any better either) told them to. They may have been top notch 10-15 years ago when they came out and there was nothing else to choose from, but now they're old news my man. With your combo, I'd check out one of the more popular dual patter cams like the Stage 1 stated above, Comp Cams XE264HR or XE270HR if you decide to stay with your 1.7 rocker arms or XE258HR, XE266HR and even XE270HR if you decided to go with the 1.6’s. Other top notch alternatives would be one of the Wolverine or Custom Ed Curtis Grinds. You'll make more power at "all" RPM in comparison and retain better drivability to boot.

As for the heads.....The Trick Flows are a nice idea, but depending on what you decide to do with your camshaft, you may want to consider alternatives, otherwise you may find yourself fly cutting or replacing your pistons. The AFR 165's are another good choice for a heavy 300hp car that needs to retain it's low end torque, as are the standard Edelbrock Performers. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I wouldn't bother trying to sell off your current screw in studs. Just pick one of the heads that accepts them. The differences between them at this power level are so minimal, that it really doesn't make a lot of sense to go through the trouble and expense of trying to sell your old ones and buy new ones.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone know what pushrod length i need to use, i contacted trick flow and they pretty much told me to get an adjustable one to check it but the guy seemed to think 6.75 length would do it. i actually have an e303 not any of the others i described earlier because im a moron and can't remember what i put in my engine. i have the twisted wedges and 1.6 rockers on there way, so if someone can help me out with the length, or has an adjustable pushrod that i could temporarily borrow, it would be nice! thanks for all the help so far guys.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
anyone know what pushrod length i need to use, i contacted trick flow and they pretty much told me to get an adjustable one to check it but the guy seemed to think 6.75 length would do it. i actually have an e303 not any of the others i described earlier because im a moron and can't remember what i put in my engine. i have the twisted wedges and 1.6 rockers on there way, so if someone can help me out with the length, or has an adjustable pushrod that i could temporarily borrow, it would be nice! thanks for all the help so far guys.

I will have to do some digging to verify what I put in mine. Drop a PM to Tbirdbrain and ask him too. He probably knows off the top of his head.

·
Super Moderator
3,616 Posts
tbirdman93 said:
he came up with 6.700" how about you madd?
That sounds about right. I don't have my messages to and from Trick Flow any more so I can't validate it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Call Ed Curtis and have him send you a set of AFR 165s and a custom cam to go. Twisted wedges are not the head to use on a heavy TBird. Neither is an F303. Your intake is good though.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 48 Posts