TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work tonight and I noticed that the engine sounded like a current throaty Mustang. Its sound sounded air or manifold related (breathing/exhaust). The engine usually runs very quiet and smooth.

I get home and look under the hood and other than what appears to be condensation on the black canister (AC?) and a couple of hoses to it on the passenger side of the firewall, nothing is unusual. No vibration. Oil and coolant are at normal levels. While I had the hood up (The engine is still hot, mind you) I sprayed the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. I turned it back on again, and this new sound mysteriously had stopped.

I'll check it again tomorrow on the way to work. Any idea what might make an engine sound like that, and where I should check?

1997, 4.6, 161,000 miles.

Thanks in advance. Frank

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sorry can't really make a suggestion for the noise. I would look at fuel trim levels to see if there are any signs of vacuum leak, etc.
Now for the MAF spray. I've read never to spray on a hot MAF, I've done it before and survived, but wouldn't do it again. The MAF is a heated wire, similar to a filament in an incandescent light bulb. Airflow is measured by how much it cools as the air passes by it. Hot thin wire sprayed with much cooler fluid, bad things can happen.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
Did it sound kind of like a goose honk by any chance?

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
Clean the TB butterfly, especially the inside edge, where it seats.

Look at the IAC. If it's dirty, clean it, but order one. Motorcraft only item.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
You're on to something Ralph! :headbang:

Joe
HEY! I have you know I've been clean for ... oh, wait, you said on TO something, not ON something! :surprise:>:):laugh:

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
...The MAF is a heated wire, similar to a filament in an incandescent light bulb. Airflow is measured by how much it cools as the air passes by it. Hot thin wire sprayed with much cooler fluid, bad things can happen.
Not really; it's not heated that hot.

It's heated N degrees above ambient temperature, measured in the housing.

It's not close to 100 degrees C; due to water vapor effects.

200 to 300 degrees C would be maximum, I'd bet way closer to 100C.

It's a Platinum RTD type element; a platinum wire over a ceramic substrate.

You aren't going to break it by spraying it with cleaner; it has to be able to take a shot of water and not fail. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts