TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My head swap is done but today I got a few codes. The strange one was P0605 and it says PCM/ROM Test error is that a chip problem ?

The second one was P0340 or cam position sensor failure. I pulled the sensor and the end was gone. I have no idea if it's in the bottom of the pan or in my solvent tank. I hope it broke while I was washing it in the solvent tank. I have a new one on order but I'm wondering if the cam sprocket knocked it off. Is there a differance in the hight of the "lump" on the sprocket ? I think I will have to pull the valve cover off and make sure the cam sprocket doesn't hit the sensor.

The last one was P1705 or "car not in "park" .....well I don't have park as it's a 5 speed now so I can ignore that one.

The car drives ok but it did die on me once when I was coming to a stop. The revs just few all the way down ans she stalled. Would a broken cam sensor do this?

Thanks everyone.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
All I can add to this is I used new cam sprockets with the old sensor and didn't have a clearance problem. I suppose I'll go check my Ford service manual to see what exactly the cam sensor does.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used new sprockets also. I would appreciate any new info you can get.
Thanks.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but my Ford service manual says "The camshaft position sensor is a Hall-effect magnetic switch activated by a single vane which is driven by the camshaft. It provides camshaft position information which is used by the PCM for fuel synchronization."

Did you find the missing piece yet?

Jim

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thnaks, no I haven't found the end yet I'm going to go to work right now and look.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick up-date. I got the new cam sensor today. I pulled of both valve cover to look for the broken end. I looked deep inside the front cove and couldn't see it. I think it must have fallen to the front of the oil pan and stuck there since it's magnetic.
I'm not thrilled about leaving it there if it is inside the pan but I know it's nowere near the chains and If it's in the pan it won't go to far.

I installed the new sensor and turned the motor over by hand to see if it was going to hit the sprocket and the damn thing was too long. I measured the depth thru the hole to the sprocket high point and the lenght of the sender and it was too long by
.050" so I made a spacer .070 thick and installed all the stuff. The car runs great and the idle is smooth now. I used new heads and sprockets and spacers so I have no clue why this sensor was too long. STRANGE.

The car pulls hard but the roads are too wet to realy test it out.

I wish the idle was set a bit higher. When I put the clutch in and come to a stop it dipps down to about 500 rpms with all the accessories on. It doesn't stall but some times I think it's going to.

I had the drive shaft re-tubed and balanced while I had the gas tank out but I still
have a drive shaft vibration even though this the second time I have had the shaft balanced. Not sure what to try next.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
How close does the cam positioning sensor need to be to the sprocket? Just curious cause I sure as heck wasnt .050 away when I put my cover back together after the PI cam swap. Havnt had a chance to start it yet to see if all is well. Monday I hope.....

Probably a little more than 1/8 of an inch apart. Maybe a little more. That normal?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1/8 should be fine as it's a magnetic pick up they don't need to be too close.
I would have spaced mine out more than .020 but .070 was the only shim stock I had around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts