TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally starting to look at my DOHC project again (After having a motor sitting on the stand for almost four years) and at the moment, I'm looking at the headers and fuel rails, trying to figure out what to do. For the headers, I don't have many options - I could, but don't want to and won't, use stock Mark VIII exhaust. It would work, but would be 'somewhat' corked like the stock MN12 exhaust.

Next option would be a set of Mustang headers and modifying them to work around the steering shaft, but I'd have to get the *right* headers to be able to modify them - I do not believe they all can be modified to fit. I could do the steering shaft mod, but I have no desire to mess with that. The only case of modified Mustang headers I've seen was for a SOHC engine - there may not even be any Mach1/Cobra headers that CAN be modified to work.

The final option is the Kooks headers from SCP. This is where the dilemma comes in - I'm not putting them into a Mark VIII or even onto a Mark VIII engine - They're going on what is essentially a Mach 1 motor except for the oil pan. What I need is headers designed for a Mach 1 from an emissions and exhaust port profile standpoint that will fit in a MN12 chassis.

I'm leaning in the direction of buying the SCP headers, even though they are, IMO, quite overpriced, but the problem is as designed, they will not mate up to the engine properly - they're designed for the Mark VIII's 'B' head exhaust profile, not the 'C' heads profile, and I'm pretty sure the EGR bung will be in the wrong place for the Mach 1 EGR tube. I don't know if they do any customization, but if they do, I'm sure it'll add a bundle to the price.

Does anyone know if there are any other options that have come around that'll work (such as maybe the newer 5.0 4v mustangs), or know of any 'C' head Mustang headers that have been confirmed to be able to be modified to get around the steering shaft?

·
Super Moderator
17,171 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma, though I already have a set of longtubes that need to be modified/recoated. Whatever headers bsmith181992 used with his 4V were able to be modified to fit(he lucked out and bought them premodified). I think they're MACs

http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1500773&postcount=204

I'm pretty sure Kooks can be used for either B or C heads, the only real difference is the port is more squared off and I think kooks(as well as most Mustang header companies) simply design them oversized.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts