TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 5.0 with some mac headers and i have blown a set of material gaskets in about 5,000 miles....When i first put the headers on i used the copper and they leaked too much for my liking. I read the threads on the horrible design of mac headers. Not sure if that could be the problem or what. Those with the 5.0's no what a pain in the butt it is to work on these.

Curious to see if anyone has some remedies or just your opionons on the topic.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
deadsoft aluminum usually is pretty good.. thats what i use

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I used to have the Mac Shorties on my Mustang, so I'm able to attest to their crappness. The individual flange material is far to thin and warps terribly whenever the heat is put to them. I had the original gaskets that came with the headers for about 2-weeks before they went out on me. I then went to copper, which won't blow out, but they don't seal worth a damn either. I finally ended up going with a set of Mr. Gasket Ultra seal steel impregnated header gaskets. I then proceeded to liberally coat both sides of the gasket, as well as the header flanges with Permatex Copper silicone.....

....finally, when you install them, go from the center outward and don't over tighten. Snug them up to the point where they feel snug enough to compress the gasket properly, but not enough to crush them. Drive it around a couple of days, let it cool down stone cold, then retighten them again.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i had the copper gaskets on my macs, and they were leakign no matter what i didi, sothis time used the factory gaskets , alumiunm/steel, so we'll see what happens

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
my....cheap gaskets seem to be holding up fine.....except, I can't really compare....I think I've got maybe 10 miles on em. so, nevermind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts