TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I searched around here for some solid info on what had to be done to install shortie headers on a 4.6. What I read was somewhat disheartening being that I already started tearing things apart. However I did not find anything specific. I got the driver side manifold off after some cussing, but the passenger side blows bad. I'm thinking that removing the motor mounts might be necessary. Any tips??????

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yup. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I have HEARD of people doing it without dropping the motor, but never seen it. I would suggest dropping the K-member and mounts and lowering the motor (crane or jack and some friends would help alot). Some people have lifted the motor (I don't recommend), but that requires removing the mounts as well.

Just my $.02 is to replace the mounts while your there, not to expensive and the labor is already done. I mean that motor is making loads more power now with those headers... right?...right? (maybe not that much, but still good PM)

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Drop the K-member...It takes about 1-1/2 hrs to drop it,and you only need a hoist or similar apparatus to hold the engine stationary while you swap the manifolds for the headers.You'll be able to get to all of the bolts easily,and make sure that they are good and tight.
JL

·
Registered
239 Posts
ok stupid question

but exactly how would you hold the engine stationary, like where to bolt or how to hold the engine with a lift or what not?

tony

·
Registered
933 Posts
I removed the alternator and used the lower to holes to connect a chain to a hoist.
Someone else told me this, worked good. It's really not that bad of a job to do either, i just did it not long ago, twice:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I got it done. Boy, I thought Supercoupes were a PITA.

Here's what I did.

1. remove entire exhaust system. All the studs in the manifolds broke off, of course.

2. remove air box, and intake tube for access on pass side

3. remove the starter

4. disconnect the steering shaft and remove the rag joint

5. remove oil filter, took bath in oil

6. support engine with floor jack and block of wood on oil pan

7. remove all engine mount bolts

8. jack up engine until stuff came into contact with plastic cowling at firewall

9. remove engine mounts.

10. unbolt manifolds.

11. EGR won't come loose, cut EGR pipe

12. remove manifolds

13. install headers. This takes a long time due to having to turn bolts 1/16 of a turn at a time with wrench even though they are finger loose because you can't reach some of them.

14. Notice that EGR did not line up, it's about 3/4 inch short.

15. reattach motor mounts, drop motor back down

16. reinstall starter and steering rag joint

17. trip to Napa for some high temp heater hose. The EGR is 5/8" so I got some 1/2" hose and forced a piece about 3" long over the joint.

18. Reconnect exhaust.

19. discover that pass side header exits in different place than manifold did.

20. Cut downpipe and extend 1" to match header

21. bolt up pass side.

22. reinstall airbox

23. start car and listen to exhaust leaks.

24. wonder why there is no oil pressure.

25. shut car off, get out, fall on face due to massive puddle of oil on ground.

26. Kick oil filter accross the street.

27. clean up oil and install oil filter with 5 quarts of oil

28. weld up joint in exhaust.

29. Pull car out of shop, deliver to happy customer. Make note to self, next one costs twice as much.

30. Have nice day!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey JL,

How far down did you have to drop the K-member? I was trying to think of a shortcut that you would be able to take advantage of when swapping the engine but it does not look like there is one. Two stage process, install engine and then install headers.:(

·
3,232 Posts
Cam94 said:
Hey JL,

How far down did you have to drop the K-member? I was trying to think of a shortcut that you would be able to take advantage of when swapping the engine but it does not look like there is one. Two stage process, install engine and then install headers.:(
All the way down,and then leave it on the jack,and slide it out.
Don't knock it off of the jack..it weighs too much to wrestle back onto the jack by yourself.
JL

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No one said it would be easy. Do you happen to have pictures of your install? I will be real familiar with the front end of my car after this weekends total rebuild. Will take a good hard look as to what will be involved. Thanks JL. Sounds like it will be fun!:eek:

·
3,232 Posts
John,you're gonna need a teflon seal for the hose connection on the PS pump.I've got the part number here somewhere.
JL

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanx JL. Post it or e-mail when you find it. I have some time. Rack is leaking so when I do the engine, headers and such I plan to do the rack as well.:thumbsup:

·
3,232 Posts
Here you go John..
*388898*S-$1.03
JL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts