TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be pulling the motor soon to swap the flat top pistons for dished. What header options do I have? I looked at the Kook's 3/4 length but don't think they'll fit the 5.4. I've yet to hear of any JBA improvements.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
501 Posts
Jet hot coated shorty Jba's are perfect for N/a Applications.

But I think a set of Jba's cracked on Chadg when he put the blower on his car and ran it, can I get that confirmed.??

The ones on ebay, I havent seen any dyno results so I cant say how good they are. Havent seen alot of threads on these

SHM I remember sold custom made headers but those were going for like $1200 back in the day. That was before I found this site:D

You need to read the 5.4l triton swap article.

Tom

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
5.4 and 4.6 SOHC headers are interchangeable as long as theyre for the T-Bird, and there is almost no advantage to the JBA's, so give the Kooks a shot, there should be less problems with clearance than with the cast iron headers, except, you still may have to "adjust the Flanges a bit for clearance, and dimple the frame a bit more...Good luck, youre going where no man has gone before......

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main concern is looking a pics of the 3/4 length headers from Kooks on a 4.6, there is very tight clearance. I have even less room. I haven't seen anyone show a performance gain from JBA's yet. Does kooks make a shortie? Where can I find it?

I'm in southern logan county 281sleeper.

Dan

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J.Miller

I found a magazine article where they put a 4.6 intake on a stock 5.4 with spacers. Their performance numbers were almost identical to ours. I don't see any benefit for that swap with a stock PI 4.6 intake.

On the other hand, I spoke to Jim Bell about a KB supercharger on my engine. Can I borrow $5k?

Dan

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
If I had $5k I will install an Allen or a Wimple charger myself. The fastest SC in the SCCoA is Anthony's Wimple from NJ.

Why not do a Paxton like Jake did with his 5.4L? He has 264HP with stock cats. His numbers will defiantly jump when he installs manly cats. You can mooch off of his experience. :eek:

Just think, with a Forged crank, rods and pistons you can go for 15 PSI boost like Ford did at the Salt Flats with the 4.2L SC test vehicle! Oh yea, over 200 MPH!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Actually, I'm running a small powerdyne 6# unit for a truck..I f I had it all to do over again, I'd be looking at an ATI Procharger with an air to air cooler and about 8#....Spend the Money!get a Kenne Bell, for a 'stang and adapt it to the spread bore...my engine is still under development ...LOL

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With everything forged, Jim Bell was talking that 9psi just wouldn't do it. He said we'd start at 9 and try 12. That's was for 500RWHP that he was estimating. It's easy to change the pulley on the KenneBell. I can set up four setups for four pulleys and swap them out for whatever I feel like that week. The KenneBell is the most efficient too and my first choice since I have no place for a turbo. My stock 4.6 exhaust manifolds could be improved on though, which is why I started this thread. Either way, it's about $7500 parts and labor away from happening though and my AC (house) needs to be redone.

Anyone know the difference betwen the 255lph and the 255lph high pressure pumps? Any reason not to use the HP??

Dan

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also guys, I've got 222RWHP and 333RWTQ now (cool huh?) I know Jake has NPI heads and stock cats, but I want Z06 vette or better power for another $3-5k. I'd pay an extra couple grand for more power than a Viper, and with roots type on a built 5.4, lifting the front tires off the track is very possible. And that would be a picture I'd show people I didn't even know.

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts