TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at buying Kooks (or possibly a set of Mac Longtubes and having them modified) and I'm wondering about header wrap.

Should I do it, or not? The car is a street car, or should I get some other coating on them?

Pros/cons?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Swaintech ceramic coating is about the best you can get, but it isn't cheap. It looks great too! I had my cast turbo manifold done. It takes about 3 weeks.

The wraps work pretty well, but don't bother painting it with the heat paint, it doesn't last. It is very tedious to wrap them. If you didn't cut a long enough piece for a tube, you start over. If you cut too long of a piece, you waste some.

Al

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't wrap mild steel headers (MACs) personally if I were driving the car daily, seems like you're just inviting rapid rust out.
What about the Kooks?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
What is the reason that you want to use wrap?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the reason that you want to use wrap?
I neither want to or not want to, I'm asking why I should or shouldn't.

On the mild steel, it can cause rust, so I won't do it on mild. The last car I had with headers was a 74 Trans Am with chrome fenderwell headers going to a 4" sidepipe. They weren't wrapped, but I don't know what the pros/cons of it are, other than trapping moisture on a mild steel header.

If they're stainless, I'm ok with leaving them open, just lookign for the whys.

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
The advantage is it keeps heat in the primary tubes, which helps keep velocity up and thereby helps exhaust scavenging and improves power. It also helps prevent other nearby components from getting heat soaked, so if you are having problems burning up starters, or overheating your trans, or with the floor pan heating up, then header wrap will help with that too. The downside to it is it will cause the headers to corrode. Stainless will resist this much better than mild steel, but it is not immune to the effects. Also the header wrap itself will break down over time requiring you to remove the headers and re-wrap them periodically. Basically a ceramic coating does all the same things as header wrap, but will actually make the header last longer and not need to be removed ever again. In short, for a street car, it is probably a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well said Mikey.

My SCs headers are coated and have lasted over 10years and are still in good shape.

Coating makes warping obsolete, unless doing constant tweaking of the exhaust (ie: racing).

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Wrapping is off the table now.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Headers make the engine bay hotter, and the wraps and coatings help.

When I had headers on an old carbureted Dodge Charger, it would sometimes vapor lock if I tried to re-start it when hot. Basically the fuel in the line turned from liquid to vapor, and the car wouldn't start till it cooled back down.

Al

1 - 13 of 13 Posts