TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for headers... Is there a good place or company?

thanks,
Josh

On another note ordering the engine mounts and trans mount monday from MN12PERFORMANCE.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The ones specifically for the mn12 chassis are a little cost prohibitive (around $500 for uncoated mild steel). You do have a couple of options though. A lot of the SC guys have had good luck porting out the stock cast iron pieces (I am assuming you don't have a 96/97). The biggest restriction is at the collector on the stock pieces. You can effectively and safely grind this area out to 2.0" to open it up. I can't remember what the stock outlet size is, but it is pretty small. Another option is to get late model ('99+) Mustang 3.8 headers. They are said to fit with some minor "adjusting" to clear the steering shaft.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 96... Buying header is the only way to go?

already have flowmaster cat back, want headers and hi flow cats.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
here's a place...

Goto supersixmotorsports.com They have a set of shorty headers for your thunderbird. they are 200 dollars plus shipping. Plus they have a sh*t load of other stuff too. kindof expensive though. But I hear it's worth it. Go check em out. I'll be ordering some soon. It does require modification of the aic and y-pipe.
-Thomas

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Another thought....

also it would be a bad idea to get the ones off of sccoa.com because those things would drop your back pressure so much it would kill your low wned torque. So only get those if you are planning on blowing your bird. Those sc headers are huge. looks like they replace the cats completely with header pipe. wow. Oh well. Yeah, go with the super six motorsports ones.
-Thomas

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually, the stock SC manifolds are the same as the n/a ones. I think any headers on a completely stock 3.8 will make the low end feel a little soggy. You can get the sccoa headers in different sizes as well. Are the headers sold on supersixmotorsports dedicated mn12 chassis headers? I thought I heard that they were just aftermarket Mustang headers. What size primaries are they? I guess I would just be surprised if someone suddenly started making 3.8 headers for the mn12 chassis after the SC community has been asking for them for so long (and at that price as well).

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,785 Posts
super6ter said:
I have a 96... Buying header is the only way to go?

already have flowmaster cat back, want headers and hi flow cats.
You already have the factory headers on your car. The 96-97s came with them. Are you looking for something else? :confused:

Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stock 96-up manifolds are better than the stock earlier cast-irons,
but ported cast-iron manifolds are on some very strong running SCs;
I'd think they would be adequate for all but the most heavily-modded n/a V6, and dirt cheap.

For headers, here's a link you may be interested in.

http://supercatxr7.freewebspace.com

Photo page 2 details his use of MAC shorties on the 3.8 SC Cougar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
headers for 3.8

if i were you i would not buy the headers for the mustang 3.8 they bolt right up to the block but you have to modify the hell out of the steering shaft and the easiest way to get the rest of the exhaust to line up is to get an h pipe for a mustang. oh yeah youll also have to heat up the drivers side and pound the header as close to block as it will go. i speak of this from experience. its kinda a real pain in the ***, but they flow way better than stock so if your up for some fab work give the super six headers a shot. oh almost forgot youve got to cut the steering shaft and weld a smaller diameter rod into it where it passes the collector. i did all of that and on really hard driving you can feel the motor touching the dam steering shaft but its alot better than it was before. if youve got any questions just drop me a line and ill try and help ya out
jeremy

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Yeah I looked at the pictures from some guys website of his cougar. It doesn't look like it would be such a job if you just look at this picture and copy what he did right off. He didn't say anything about having to chop the steering column and put in a smaller diameter rod or anything like that, he just pounded some stuff and shaved off some of the collector. I'd do it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
H-Pipe? An H or X pipe does nothing for the 3.8 except change the exhaust tone as the 3.8 is an even fire motor.

My brother has the Mustang headers on his 89 with no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts