TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At what point (hp/tq wise) would you guys consider headers "recommended" and then "necessary" on a 32V DOHC (Gen II Mark VIII)?

Or has anyone done a cost benefit analysis on them?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If I could afford it, I would have headers on all of my vehicles. They are a bit noisier than stock exhaust manifolds, but I am more about efficiency and having the ability to add thing as I can afford them. The stock exhaust on our cars is really restrictive as it is so every bit helps.

SWS

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
well if you ever plan on supercharging it or slappin on a turbo would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to ask a few questions about headers

what headers you guys run?

where did you get them from?

How much did they cost?

How many hours/days did it take to install?

Are they a direct bolt up?

Are they CARB legal (for us commiefornians)?

oh, and pictures are ALWAYS good! ;)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There is only one brand of headers for 4.6 MN12's that is worth a crap. They are only available from supercoupeperformance.com and are $580 uncoated. ($760 for ceramic coated) The alternative is the cheapo JBA's which do not flow as well as factory manifolds. These are the only two that will bolt up and fit perfectly. They have provisions for the EGR tube and O2 sensors. The exhaust bolts right up to the JBA's (they are shortys) but you will have to have a shop hook up exhaust to the Kook's. (they are 3/4 length).

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
I would say headers are never "necessary", but would be "recommended" as soon as you can afford them. They not only give you more power, but also smooth out the torque curve, improve the gas mileage, make the car sound better, etc. Also the more other mods you have, the more of an improvement you are going to notice when you put your headers on. The order of mods planned for my car now that I have the 5-speed in there is 3.73s, then cobra intake, then headers, then maybe down the road some C-heads and a vortech.

As a practical application of your question though, I guess the answer would be you need headers as soon as your driver's side cat goes bad.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you did the tranny swap, would it have made it a lot easier to install headers.

You know why I'm asking... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,696 Posts
I don't think it makes it any easier or any harder. The 3/4 lengths I think would come to about where the driver's side manifold ends, so it should be about the same. When I do get around to doing headers though, I'll be doing the steering shaft mod and using some mustang long-tubes so it will be a bit of a project. There really wouldn't be any overlapping labor doing them at the same time as the trans swap though. All you would save is dropping the exhaust a second time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i picked up 20 rwhp with the kooks 3/4 length dohc headers and 2.5 inch exhaust with X-pipe all the way to the tips. I picked up almost that much torque also, and I picked up nearly that amount all the way through the curve. plus it sounds hella awesome now, and they are alot lighter than the manifolds that came off of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts