TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked in a search and I could not find what I was looking for.

Where do you guys recommend getting headers? I am looking for my 94 Cougar with the 4.6. Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,607 Posts
your choices are VERY limited, supercoupeperformance sells kooks mid length headers, which are the only good headers available but expensive, theres also jba shorties but they have issues and dont provide much gain.

the stock manifolds can be ported to flow very well also, and wont cost nearly as much as the other choices;)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
is it even a noticable gain?
No.At least not with JBA's.Maybe there was a gain but I never felt it.Who knows.If I had to do it all over again I would go for the Kooks right away.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
On modified N/A 2V's, the Kooks are worth about 15 - 20 RWHP.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The JBA's issues were fixed apparently. And I must say that there quality is very good too from the ones I have. As for gains, I’m sure kooks would be more. Tests with mustang manifolds vs. shorty headers (ford racing) showed almost no gain on the dyno. BUT the mn-12 manifolds are more restrictive then the mustangs.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
yeah, pinch bends do that

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
kooks are the way to go.... but so expensive... :( coated headers, dead soft gaskets, long o2 sensors, adapters, adapter gaskets, probably time for new cats, stage 8 locking fasteners, than the actual task of installing them, and than the cost of a shop to do exhaust from the new cats back, money adds up quick

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
kooks are the way to go.... but so expensive... :( coated headers, dead soft gaskets, long o2 sensors, adapters, adapter gaskets, probably time for new cats, stage 8 locking fasteners, than the actual task of installing them, and than the cost of a shop to do exhaust from the new cats back, money adds up quick
I've got a set of Kooks, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet (I'm lazy) Got any suggestions on brands of gaskets/bolts? also, what do you mean by "Long 02 sensors"? Just longer wires? or am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
yeah, the longer wires. the sensor is the same.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
Ryan - When I got O2 sensors for the 91, I had the option whether to get long or short wires. I went with the longer wires to be on the safe side :D You can always tuck the wire somewhere, but it's harder to make it longer.

-Melon

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I've got a set of Kooks, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet (I'm lazy) Got any suggestions on brands of gaskets/bolts? also, what do you mean by "Long 02 sensors"? Just longer wires? or am I missing something?
Percy dead soft gaskets, stage 8 locking header bolts for the 4.6/5.4 ford modular motor, both availible on summitracing.com, those are the only way to go, you don't want an exhaust leak or to have to tighten them a few years from now because the bolts backed out do you?

·
Registered
132 Posts
are the coated ones a must? or can you just buy the uncoated and spray paint them with some high temp paint?

·
Registered
132 Posts
and also do you have links for the gaskets and bolts on summit?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
i bought the uncoated ones as i am totally broke and even buying them was a stretch. as for the bolts and gaskets, you dont need any parts for them b/c the person making your exhaust should have them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
nice did you like the uncoated ones? yeah i dont really feel like throwing down all that extra money for coated headers. how was the performance of them?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts