TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides Kooks headers (to much Money and clearance issues) what are your options as for as headers. JBA have been dogged to he11 so I will rule those out. What about the FRPP shorties?. Oh and search police, I did, and could not find an answer satisfactory to my needs. Get at me.

Big House

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Sounds like you have ruled out everything :uppoint:

Sad, but true.

The frpp shorties won't work, and they are also known for cracking just like the JBAs.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
MN12-Blackbird said:
Besides Kooks headers (to much Money and clearance issues)
What clearance issues? I have the Kooks on my DOHC 90 XR7, and I'm very happy with the way that they fit. I can't disagree with the "too much money" part, though.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you want cheap go with the Stone Mountain ones off ebay. If they are prone to crack like the JBA's, you'd probably be a little happier spending $100 on a piece of junk that you can use for a few months or years until they take a s**t, rather than wasting $700 on the same thing IMO that will last just as long. As for the Kooks, no experience here, but I'd say for the $700 or so they go for and for the quality as in not cracking, that'd be the way to go, if you don't have a spending limit.

Joe

·
Registered
573 Posts
From experience, I bought a set of the $125 bargain headers from e-bay last month. The guy ships out of Ft. Lauderdale, about 10 miles from my house. Advertised as stainless steel and chromed. When I received them they were for sure worth 125. But I really didn't have anything to compare to. Without the removal and install details, I found out that the driver's side hit the frame, BIG TIME! So I took it off and beat the pipe a little. The 2 dollar chrome came off and with a little heat, the pipe flattened about a 1/4". Well when I re-installed, another pipe rubbed just a little. But it is now Sun. PM and I gotta go to work Monday, so I put it together and drove it for 5 days. Oh Boy, there's two problems that occur. 1) It will vibrate the steering wheel when you turn right. 2) the gasket won't seal up and you guessed it, it leaks. OK! Well now it's next friday, the eagle has landed, so I call up Summit Racing, who by the way, offers free shipping, and someone on the phone that knows your car from a dump truck. 9:30 am Friday, but I gotta have them overnighted so I can replace on the weekend. $539 overnight. JBA 1626 stainless, no chrome. 10 AM Sat, they are on my door step! Now that's service guys! Well, I compared the two. The stainless steel on the 125? They better run away from me, that's not stainless! The welds on the 125? Kids could do that good! The fit? Get out of town. I bolted the Jba's up like nobody's bussness! I'm an expert now, after 3 times. The gaskets are Mr. gasket ultras. No leaks, These are hi RPM headers, and on the highway, with OD off, you will know. I got my money back from MR. CHEAPO, he was nice because we were face to face. Until next time, Hollywood Ed

·
Registered
215 Posts
you couldnt get the 125 dollar headers..and get them re-welded..or jet hot coated?..i think you could take them to a machine shop and get them rewelded for alot cheaper than the JBA's or Kooks..with the price of the headers

·
Registered
573 Posts
JBA, guaranteed to fit, new design in place, and a lifetime warranty to boot. As for chrome and the ceramic hot wax, skip that BS. They match up to stock exhaust like magic. Read 'em and weep! Ed. Let's take on the PI intake next. I would bet the homemade silicone treatment only lasts about a year, and probably not thru a hard up north winter.. That stuff is gonna crack at some point, and when it does you're gonna wonder why your T-Bird don't fly. We are lucky to even have a company take the time to offer us an adapter plate. That extra money is no doubt put in the right spot. I'm gonna do that mod, and if I find out that the $650 plus shipping we spent causes us T- Bird owners to spend another couple hundred to correct, then it will be time for another face to face visit. I'll let you guys know, But when I spend good money, I expect a good fit. That's only fair. If they are gonna advertise it for a NPI fit, Mustang or T-Bird, then that's what we expect. Ed.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ed,

I have to add that to the list...it is getting longer and longer, but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have heard that JBA has fixed there cracking problem by changing the design of the welds

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ask any of the guys here that have had "old" JBA's crack (and there are many) if they would buy them again, even the "new" ones... most have opted to put the stock manifolds back on, or go to Kooks. Some guys have lucked out and not had them crack, but not many....

The idea that someone would consider buying something that is reputed to break, spend hours and skinned knuckles to install it, with the idea that if they get a year out of it they will be happy is unfathomable to me.

There is not that much gain over stock manifolds with any kind of headers on a basically stock engine. Unless you are adding major power, why bother??? And if you are gonna do it why do it twice, or three times, or however many times they crack????

Blake cracked his JBA's and put the stock manifolds back on his blown set up and saw virtually no difference in power.

There are NO clearance issues with Kooks headers. If your engine mounts are fresh, and you have no other unusual engine fitment issues, they fit like a glove...

Kooks builds custom headers and has been for years. They started as a little shop in Bayshore Long Island, and you used to have to drop your car off and they made one-off sets for their customers. Eventually they started making jigs for the more popular applications (our cars are not considered "popular). Kooks headers for most cars cost over $1000 a set. They are made to order for our cars by hand. Yes they have a jig, but each set is made specifically for a buyer. They are not mass manuctured and wharehoused. Only occasionally are they stocked, and only the smaller version, the bigger ones are all made to order. They are only distributed through one company, no one else can buy them, not even direct (I tried)....

You can't compare what we can buy aftermarket for our cars to what is available for the Mustang, or most other cars... There is a very small market for aftermarket performance parts for our cars, so none of the big companies (Hooker, Headman, etc) are interested in tooling up to sell a handful of headers...

Kooks are expensive, but not "too" expensive. IMHO, you get what you pay for...

-mike

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You forgot to mention the tiny collector on those ebay headers. I was going to buy a set, and reenforce them, until I saw a set in person, not worth the money.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
AND the ports in the flange of the JBA's are somewhat smaller than the exhaust ports on the stock NPI heads from what I read...

-mike

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd get the Kooks, even if it meant saveing for another 6 months. You can pickup the 1-5/8 primary with 2.5 collectors variety unfinnished for $535. That's only 100 more than I paid for my JBA's. According to Bill Evanoff the 1-5/8 primary with 2.5 collectors will support up to 500hp.

I've been running JBA's (The updated style.) for near 2 years with no cracking. I'm making good power with them too. I'm going take a guess and say I'm the exception rather than the rule and when I install my new engine she'll be getting the Kooks.

·
Registered
926 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
Ask any of the guys here that have had "old" JBA's crack (and there are many) if they would buy them again, even the "new" ones... most have opted to put the stock manifolds back on, or go to Kooks. Some guys have lucked out and not had them crack, but not many....

The idea that someone would consider buying something that is reputed to break, spend hours and skinned knuckles to install it, with the idea that if they get a year out of it they will be happy is unfathomable to me.

There is not that much gain over stock manifolds with any kind of headers on a basically stock engine. Unless you are adding major power, why bother??? And if you are gonna do it why do it twice, or three times, or however many times they crack????

Blake cracked his JBA's and put the stock manifolds back on his blown set up and saw virtually no difference in power.

There are NO clearance issues with Kooks headers. If your engine mounts are fresh, and you have no other unusual engine fitment issues, they fit like a glove...

Kooks builds custom headers and has been for years. They started as a little shop in Bayshore Long Island, and you used to have to drop your car off and they made one-off sets for their customers. Eventually they started making jigs for the more popular applications (our cars are not considered "popular). Kooks headers for most cars cost over $1000 a set. They are made to order for our cars by hand. Yes they have a jig, but each set is made specifically for a buyer. They are not mass manuctured and wharehoused. Only occasionally are they stocked, and only the smaller version, the bigger ones are all made to order. They are only distributed through one company, no one else can buy them, not even direct (I tried)....

You can't compare what we can buy aftermarket for our cars to what is available for the Mustang, or most other cars... There is a very small market for aftermarket performance parts for our cars, so none of the big companies (Hooker, Headman, etc) are interested in tooling up to sell a handful of headers...

Kooks are expensive, but not "too" expensive. IMHO, you get what you pay for...

-mike
not to say that your wrong because your not , but personally I would never drop $1000.00 on headers. I used to have a 84 monte SS Headers were only $100.00 longtubes and they never cracked, I know these are hand made I understand why they are $1000.00 but I would never pay that much for headers.Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeah, if I was driving an '84 Monte Carlo, I wouldn't pay $1000 for headers either. And if I was driving a Mustang, I wouldn't have to, either. Or a Honda, or a Volkswagon..

Who cares???? This is a Thunderbird site, and if you own a Thunderbird and want to modify it, it is expensive. That's just the way it is....

And the biggest Kooks, ceramic coated are $800, not $1000, the smaller ones are $50 less and you don't necessarily have to coat them, although I suggest it.

-mike

·
Registered
926 Posts
it still sucks to have to spend that much on Headers

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Jack K's car has Motorsport headers. UPR modified them to fit. He posted pics. If FRPP headers crack, I highly doubt his have....490hp to the tires probably hasnt cracked them yet.

joseph

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
Jack K's car has Motorsport headers. UPR modified them to fit. He posted pics. If FRPP headers crack, I highly doubt his have....490hp to the tires probably hasnt cracked them yet.

joseph
The FRPP headers crack.. quite often.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts