TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have talked to summitracing and people at my local muffler shop and i had heard that i can put mustang headers on my 96 t-bird but i have to tweet my exhaust. Anyone hear of this or is it a rumor.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
not just a rumor, but an idiotic one as well. No way they'll fit, even with some modifications, if it was that easy, we'd all be running headers.

There are 3 options for headers for your car, from cheapest to best.

SSAutochrome
JBA
Kooks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The SSautochrome ones and the JBA ones are actually the same quality, but SSautochrome is much cheaper. If you just want it to sound better and aren't worried about any performance gains go with SSautochrome. If you want a performance gain go with the Kooks for sure, I can't say if they make it sound better, I have never heard them, but I think they probably would.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I haven't hear about that, maybe somebody else will know. If that was possible to do that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I dont know if any of the 4.6 guys have tried it...Id love to be the first but I already have a set of Kooks. :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
i have talked to summitracing and people at my local muffler shop and i had heard that i can put mustang headers on my 96 t-bird but i have to tweet my exhaust. Anyone hear of this or is it a rumor.
The only Header even worth thinking about would be Kooks Mid-Length :(
If you are having an exhaust shop install the headers and pipes the cost
will astound you :uppoint:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I think someone did post that 5L's can use a stang headers with a steering shaft mod. Not sure if it would work on 4.6Ls.

Edit: http://www.qsl.net/wd4ngb/steering.htm

You can thank 392bird.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i talked to a guy at summit and it is possible. he didnt remember exactly what u have to do. he is checking on it and calling me back.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
The thing is even if he tells you that it is possible, and he is wrong (and he probably is) and you modify those headers in any way, there is no way you are getting your money back

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Wow. Maybe on a 5.0 but a 4.6 really does not leave a whole lot of room on the side in our birds. I cannot be dogmatic, but I am going to say from staring at it enough times that there is not enough room to use Mustang headers and an aumented steering shaft. Between the engine bay flexing and the motor moving on acceleration you would have rubbing issues. Just my oppinion.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've seen Cobra longtube headers modified to fit around the steering shaft for a Mark VIII...I assume they'd also work in an MN12 chassis. Unfortunately, I think there's only one set of those in existence.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Grifter is modifying the steering shaft to fit LT's on his 4V. I dont know how far he has dived into the project though.

I wouldnt count it out until someone tries it. There is no proof either way.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
All I'm saying is that people (with shorties and cooks mid length) rub now as it is. you would have to have one heck of a bend in those headers to fit without rubbing issues and trust me, rubbing is annoying when it happens every time you turn right! Not saying it can't be done, it's just going to take some pretty fancy work.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
UPR modified mustang shorties on Jack K's car, PM him for picks...
Sure did. But it was a waste of time as the driver-side header is cracked already. And not on a weld either, but on the main tube in a spot where we can't get a welder. So they are going to come off and a set of Kook's will go on.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im just trying to find a cheeper way to get performance headers on my car. ive been checken ebay everyday. (no luck). is it really worth the money.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For a mostly stock engine? probably not. But if you're planning on building a high-HP engine, the factory manifolds will eventually become a bottleneck. and if you're going to super- or turbocharge your car, the manifolds will almost definitely be a bottleneck.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts