TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OKAY Y'ALL i need some information quick or well when you get the time now i know we all 3.8 owner's know that are headgasket goes out sooner or later . . . . . . . . .why am i asking y'all this? well at my school there alway's some [email protected]# who think's he know's everything and this one guy is that person i mean he say's that he love ford but at the same time disses them :ztoohot: then i was talking to someone about my car and this person but's in and say what kind of car. i told him and then he say's ooohhhh you better keep away from those 'cause of the head gasket then he asked for my milege . again i told him then he say's you'll gonna have to replace them soon. :boom: . . . . . . . so i need to know something and if you feel as though i'm being a bit too personal . . . . i'm sorry . my question's are: what milege did your head gasket's go out and if you went to a shop how much did it cost to have them fixed or if you did it at home how long did it take?

P.S. i have over 138,000 mile's should i be looking forward to replaceing my HG soon?:(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Holly cripes, you are a driving failure waiting to happen right now!! Mine went out at 129k.

Was an extremely involved process to replace on own. Don't F%ck with it, just pay to have it done.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I didn't understand a thing you said. :confused: But I'll tell you this, I took a '91 Cougar to 193,000 miles before I had the head gasket blow, many of them miles were hard miles too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i for got to mention it's a 1990 so there's a chance that they've already been replaced right?:confused:

·
Registered
801 Posts
well mines went at 94,000

and i warped my heads also, good thing ford fixed it for free, but my car is running warm so i know that sooner or later im going to fix them again and now i have 105,000 miles on them a year later, i better do a lot of studying on replacing the headgaskets.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have 1990 tbird and i have 139,000 on it. It still runs really strong. i know i got a while before they go and when they go the motor goes.

Josh

·
Registered
149 Posts
All of you sound really lucky my 94 went at 76,000. Havent had the car a year and already had to stick money in it. But i love my car and wouldnt get rid of it for anything(Well maybe a 03 Cobra but I would have to think about it:D ).

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 94' went at about 98500. I went ahead and had the whole thing rebuilt. The kit cost me I think it was like $725.00 with new oil pump, cam, lifters, bearings, etc... and all. Another $500.00 for my mechanic friend who did all the work. I don't remember what the machine shop cost were but it wasn't much.

·
Registered
940 Posts
cougar 3.8 said:
my question's are: what milege did your head gasket's go out and if you went to a shop how much did it cost to have them fixed or if you did it at home how long did it take?

P.S. i have over 138,000 mile's should i be looking forward to replaceing my HG soon?:(
My went at 91,000 hard miles, cost: $0 (ford covered until 100,000miles):D , was my fault they went too (car overheated due to Fan Control Module, I pushed so that I can get home and it happened),

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no offense you guy's but it seem's the newer the car the lower the milege the hg goes out. but thank's i told the guy about the poll you guy's put out and he seem's kinda salty . he sometime's ask if anyone one sent in another poll so don't stop plus with this poll it's really helping me out

·
Registered
218 Posts
Car: 1995 Thunderbird 3.8

Mileage when gaskets went: 97,000.

Symptoms: Spontaneous random overheating regardless of fan operation.

Had then done at Shop? No. I fancy myself a half-*** mechanic.

Cost to get them done? $-360.00 Ford paid me to do them, after I was reimbursed under the recall campaign. (But don't tell anyone I said you can do them yourself... It pisses people off :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd rather have a 5.0

1991 154,xxx and I replaced it myself for less than $50 I paid for the head bolts and the head gasket kit that came with upperintake gaskets I didn't need but, used anyway. The head was still true. It was the passenger side head and it was the cylinder closes to the firewall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine went out at 206K. I guess I was very lucky to have them last as long as they did, according to my mechanic. It took them about a week to do it. Of course I had the heads sent out to be pressure tested and machined too, which took an extra day, and well worth the $150 in my opinion. The total bill came out to $968.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do SCs blow as often as the N/As or more or about the same...?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My first set blew at around 120K miles I didn't realize it until the steam had etched a groove between two cylinders. My "new" engine has 225K on it and is stilll going strong. Yup that's right folks, my '88 Cougar has almost 350K miles on it (many of them hard miles too) and is still runing great. BTW, the tranny is bone stock origional with just fluid and filter changes every 50k miles. Just FYI, the digital speedo recycles back to 00000 every 100k miles.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,671 Posts
151,000 - almost 152K - and still going. But I think my days are numbered. It takes about a month, but I've been loosing a small amount of coolant. And now there's an odd smell I get sometimes. A warm smell like something is burning. I'm hoping that I last the winter and next spring they go so I can park it and start looking for a donor car. Plus then maybe convince my parents to let me get a Ranger for a daily driver so I can really have fun with my 'Bird.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'm close to home when they go so if I do have to drive, I'm not too far from home. Or else close to someone that can pull/trailer me home.

-Andy "Melon"

1 - 20 of 70 Posts