TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess the inevitable finally happend at 140k miles :( Well anyways... Since i have quite a few miles on the engine I decided I should probably do a rebuild instead of just replacing the head gskets. With water in the crankcase and such its hard on the bearings and other internal parts. I dont know if its possible....but could i possibly go .30 over and maybe a mild port and polish with a vavle job??? Has anyone ever tried this or maybe know where I could aquire the parts??? Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

59bisquik formerly Thunderchicken

·
Registered
940 Posts
I still believe you can redo your gasket and still go for miles, my dad has replaced headgaskets on his 89 Regal 2 times and has over 230,000 miles and still going good. If you haven't abused your car, you should be able to replace them and be set for a few more years.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well, if you are going as far as a rebuild, you might as welll get a 4.2, 4.0, or stroke the engine. dont bore it, its not that beneficial, you might go froma 3.8 liter to a 3.85 liter. i think there is a stroker kit to go from 3.8 to 4.3 or something of the sort. itll be more worth your while and money. -greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for the rebuild idea.....I am a Factory Rep. for a company that builds Locomotives so I see VERY large high horse power engines all day. With the experience I have with this kind of stuff and the amount of water in the crank case I wouldnt feel comfortable just putting gaskets on it. If the bearings have any milky appearance at all they should be changed. Some people might have had good luck with running them but usually my luck can get pretty bad and I would feel much more comfortable with a nice fresh rebuild.

As for the price of these stroker kits and not to mention the California Smog Nazis....I will probably just stick with a stock rebuild.

Which are the best gaskets to get to cure this problem???

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
instead of a rebuild, you MIGHT want to look into a 98+ 4.2L shortblock from ford, people have been quoted 850$ for one and then you could bolt your heads and such on the short block.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4.2??? Where could I get a short block for that price?? AND would I have to use my 3.8 cam or the 4.2 cam? With california smog laws and the computer im not sure if I could do it!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'd like to know where that short block came from too... Fivestarford maybe? My 93 is just about at 140K and after reading all the posts here I've already bought heads to redo in preparation for a rebuild when she pops. Or maybe before if I could find a 4.2L at a decent price...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wish I had that many miles on mine. The headgaskets went at 78,000. It is now being worked on and should hopefully be done saturday afternoon. I really miss my car. I have been driving my dads truck back tand forth to work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
4.2?

What is this 4.2 you guys are talking about? I've never heard of it. whats the difference between it and the 3.8? Can I use it with my 95 Sc setup?Will my sc heads and manual trans hook up to it? What vehicles did it come in? As you can see I'm a bit excited. I have a little over 220,000 on my 95 3.8 sc and a step up would be cool.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm talking about the 4.2L V6 from a '97+ F150. Not sure what else they may have come in. Mustangs? I've read some things to indicate that it's an evolution of the 3.8L na motor and bolts right into a mn12 using the same accessories. Not real sure about computer issues as yet, still reading there.

·
Registered
940 Posts
doodaa said:
I'm talking about the 4.2L V6 from a '97+ F150. Not sure what else they may have come in. Mustangs? I've read some things to indicate that it's an evolution of the 3.8L na motor and bolts right into a mn12 using the same accessories. Not real sure about computer issues as yet, still reading there.

97 + F150 correct

mustangs not correct

·
Registered
72 Posts
Head Gasket

AHHH join the club of blown 3.8 head gaskets. I put a new gasket in and put it back together and have had no problems since. That was last summer. I wouldn't bother suping up your 3.8. Like the other guys have said go with a bigger 3.8 or get a V8!
Just my opinion.
Donnie

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't know about everyone else, but I kinda like the high torque at low rpm's, the 3.8 has a much better torque off the line then my 4.6

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Head Gasket

94XR7 said:
AHHH join the club of blown 3.8 head gaskets. I put a new gasket in and put it back together and have had no problems since.

The head gasket on my 95 went at 96,000 miles last summer. I just found out that Ford is supposed to reimburse money for it within 7years/100,000 miles. The people at the Ford dealership in my area have given me nothing but trouble about getting my money back. Has anyone ever been in combat with Ford about the problem?

Claire

·
Registered
940 Posts
I didn't go in combat, I went to the closest ford dealer and showed them that the warranty was extended on my 94 for headgaskets (they went at 90,000 and I had them done at PepBoys), they said no problem, just show us the receipt, so I did and a few weeks later I received a full refund (even for item that was not caused by the headgasket failure :) ) I had the gaskets done around 1.5 years before I received the letter from ford that the warranty was extended so I was glad that they gave me my money back.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think the only years covered were 94-95, I received letter directly from ford when the warranty was extended and I'm sure it was 94-95 Tbirds and I think 96-98 Mustangs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just an option but last I herd if you have a Cali Smog vehicle, Your car will not pass smog if it has a larger engine then the VIN is showing just my 2 cents being that I'm living in N. Cali. But that's my option.

Silver

·
Registered
33 Posts
iam rebuilding my engine right now and going .030 over just because the walls were scored. the vavles in my heads were in real bad condition and all had to be resurfaced . about 890 for engine kit w/ every thing ( pistions all bearings, gaskets etc.) and the cleaning, magna fluxing,boring, honing, cam bearings pressed in and the head work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts