TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my trans has had only first and second gear for almost 6 months, and I knew this was coming. My 4.6 has water in the oil and wont run(but will turn over). So, my current plan is get a 4.6 dohc motor and trans out of a Mark 8 and swap that in, but my question is regarding what all will be involved in that. I already have a line on the motor and trans for around 600 but I'm wondering what else should be done while it's undergoing serious work. The car itself and the motor and trans have only 63k on them and the donor Lincoln has approximately 100,000 and the guy selling it has 4 Lincoln Mark 8's he's parting out. I figure while I'm already replacing the trans it's either do headgaskets or just drop in a complete running motor, and the extra 90 hp sounds pretty good too. Just wondering what things I should look out for while doing the job. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I searched and read through many threads, but nobody ever goes into any detail. Such as how to modify the exhaust manifold, or how to modify the wiring

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Originally Posted by Toombs:

"I put a 96 Mark motor into my 94 Cougar. Biggest pain in the arse was redoing the engine wiring harness. If you have the means, I'd modify the exhaust manifold to remove the cat and move the flange up using your SOHC manifold as a template. Then your exhaust will bolt up. You'll need to wire up something to control the IMRC's. I used an MSD tach driver and an MSD RPM switch set for 3,000. The you'll either need to get a different torque converter or you'll have to swap the SOHC flex plate over to the DOHC motor. Also, you'll have to get creative with the air intake, since the throttle body is in the back of the intake manifold. I also had to get the throttle cable from a Mark to attach to the throttle body. You'll need a Mark alternator too."

And this may help w/ the wiring harness issue, if you haven't already seen it...

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=67258&highlight=DOHC+swap

Jay

·
Registered
623 Posts
I put a mark motor in my car last year, PM me if you'd like some answers to specific questions.

·
Registered
623 Posts
correct

1 - 8 of 8 Posts