TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to raise my headlights up slightly on my 1991 T-bird. I put some Ultra Silverstars in hoping that would solve the problem.

They are still to low. Probably from people slamming the hood before I obtained the car.

I looked in my service manual and it said a headlight aiming kit and adapter MUST be purchased to change the position of headlights. What ?

Is there a way for me to raise the headlights up slightly ? Every car I have ever had I was able to change the vertical or horizontal setting of the headlights.

I can do it on my 1991 Ford Mustang with no problem.

Thanks

·
̇
3,701 Posts
To adjust your headlights you need to turn the stud that sticks through the support of the retainer connecting your headlights to the header panel.
1994LHHeadlampAiming.jpg

I recommend this Headlight Adjusting Ratchet for Ford Headlights

Each headlight has 2 studs you can adjust, Left/Right and Up/Down. The stud closer to the inner parking lights or inner highbeams (depending on year) adjusts your Up/Down motion. The studs closer to the outer corner signal lights adjust the Left/Right motion.

Here is what you need to do to aim them Up/Down:
•To aim the headlight beam higher turn the stud clockwise.
•To aim the headlight beam lower turn the stud counter-clockwise.

Here is what you need to do to aim them Left/Right:
•To aim the headlight beam towards the center of the car turn the stud clockwise
•To aim the headlight beam away from the center of the car turn the stud counter-clockwise

1) At night, park the car on a flat surface facing a wall about 10' away. Turn headlights on (LOL).

2) Find the distinct centerline in the headlight beams on the wall. This is created by the design of our headlamps/bulbs.

3) Correctly adjusted, the centerline should be about 26" from the ground, against the wall.

4) Beams should stay fairly much within the left/right fender lines. In other words, the beams shouldn't be spreading out so far that, if you were in the center lane of a 3 lane road, the beams should not cross over the left/right lanes of the center lane you're in.

5) When correctly adjusted, at about 30-40' away from the wall, both headlight beams should converge into one beam.

Need more info..Check out this Sticky-->>How To Adjust Your Headlights

Rayo..

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are the BEST !!! Thank you so much for this information. I don't understand why my service manuals which includes Chilton, Hayes, and Ford Factory Shop Manual did NOT show this.

Will aim this weekend and give you an update.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
12,027 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts