TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no way to get rid of headlight condensation on the inside without baking them open, is there?

Headlights are pretty clear (minus that nasty yellow glue) but the condensation is giving me a terrible beam (both headlights). Is it possible I have a sillicon seal leak someplace?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
you can do it with them in, take the bulbs out and hit it with a hair dryer or heat gun from the front and then get some hot air in through the bulb hole(if using heat gun becareful not to melt or mis shape anything). I found the most common cause for condensation (other then crack or hole in the lense) is the rubber o ring around the bulb is dried out or the lock ring that holds the bulb in isn't holding it tight enough. Give these things a try first before you remove the lights and bake them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
ditto. I used to take off my 96 grand marquis lights and put them in from of an open dryer vent at the fire house for an hour or so. I had to do this about 4 times before I figured out that the o rings on the bulbswere bad.

·
8,239 Posts
Sell them and get new ones. You can get new aftermarket lamps for a 94 for way under 100 bucks a pair.

Bit the bullet and spend the money.

Make sure to put a good coat of wax on the new ones to keep the uv from burning them.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you buy just the O-Rings from autozone or O-Reilly's, etc?

Justin - I have to clear lenses (and header panel), but I still need to get a hood (might as well get a cowl if I'm spending the money, though I almost like the slim profile ram air hoods better). Unfortunately, that needs to be painted (along with a couple other things), I'm just going to have the entire car painted. Don't have the money to do it right now, so looking for a "quick fix"

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
JustinH said:
Sell them and get new ones. You can get new aftermarket lamps for a 94 for way under 100 bucks a pair.

Bit the bullet and spend the money.

Make sure to put a good coat of wax on the new ones to keep the uv from burning them.

Ive looked on eghay and I could not find any at does prices. Know were I could find the pair Justin?!

Israel

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tx_Cat said:
Ive looked on eghay and I could not find any at does prices. Know were I could find the pair Justin?!

Israel
Big Mike has a couple sets laying around - $60 I believe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
New bulbs come with an O-ring, and the cost (at MOST) $20 a pair. but O-rings? I just bought 2 O-rings at O'Reilly for $.99 a pair. Just pull the bulb out, pull the O-ring off, bring it down to a local auto parts store and ask them to see their O-rings. They'll likely pull a box out with several sizes. Match it up and you're done. If they don't have it go to another one, or Home Depot racing always works.

If you still can't find new O-rings, I'll sell you a pair for $5.

EDIT: My bad, need to read the entire thread lol. Still.....$60 bux for new headlight housings vs new O-rings. Worth a try IMO..... sry for wasting precious thread space :)

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shouldn't have a problem with the O-rings, the silverstars are only about 5 months old and the car has been in the garage

I tried doing the hair dryer trick, but that's a PITA...I'm just going to take them off and open them up, clean them, strip that horrid yellow glue, and silicon them back together.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
conversion02 said:
I tried doing the hair dryer trick, but that's a PITA...I'm just going to take them off and open them up, clean them, strip that horrid yellow glue, and silicon them back together.
have fun trying to get them apart without cracking anything or hurting yourself.

i do have a few sets laying around looking for a good home...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts