TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems I have become pretty good at refinishing headlights, but I have a question that would save alot of time. How necessary are the little nubbies on the outside of halogen headlights? It seems to me they are for aiming the lights but I'm not sure. If I sanded them off with a dremel and sanded the headlight smooth what would this do? It would really save alot of time and I think it would make the lights look alot better... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Are you talking about doing this as a side biz or something or you just own a lot of headlights that need refinishing?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
yes they are for attaching a certain tool to aim them. the dealership i went to one day called them headlight aiming mounts. i dont know if thats thier real name seeing how he was only a dispatcher lol, but who knows. seeing how i have projectors i dont need them anyways:D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I ground mine off. It does make it a lot easier to get a buffer/polisher on them . I haven't missed them yet. But if you are thinking you can make them dissapear entirely you are mistaken. You will be able to see where they were.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I thought they were just a bi-product of the injection molding process?

Thomas

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just do it for people I know. I did my marquis, my brother's bird, and now I'm doing my own. I've done probably 10 sets all together and am now pretty damn good at it. I did my brother's 6 months ago and they still look better than new. I'm not looking to make the nubbies disappear, but I want to be able to get the buffer on there without tearing up my pad. Besides, then there will be no dul lspots right below the nubby where the pad can't get to.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well I can see the desire to loose them for refinishing purposes. I'd just ask the owner if they're cool with it that's all. Been driving over half my life now and never have actually had my lights aligned using one of those tools. So it wouldn't matter to me...

No idea if they will notice something like that at a state safety inspection and give you grief over it though. Some states are crazy about rather meaningless stuff. I haven't had to go through that crap in over 15 years. God bless Florida lawmakers. lol

Thomas A said:
I thought they were just a bi-product of the injection molding process?

Thomas
No plastic mold makers aren't so crude as to leave such protuberances. Note your tail lights and side markers don't have any such things. They are actually standardized reference points for headlight aim tools to mount onto. The old school glass sealed beam headlights used to have nubs on them as well.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
I removed them from two sets of '96-'97 headlights. It makes the polishing process MUCH easier. Also, I haven't yet found a need for them. I've always aimed my own headlights, so no loss there.
I used a Dremel with a cut-off wheel, then a sanding disc. You must be VERY careful not to melt the plastic or make wrong moves. The plastic is very good at showing mistakes.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Very interesting. I had no idea that is why they were there.

I don't think it would effect any inspections as most new vehicles do not have them.

Thomas

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Thomas A said:

I don't think it would effect any inspections as most new vehicles do not have them.

Thomas
i agree my 98 taurus doesnt have them

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet.... think I might do mine today. Maybe I'll do a picture step by step .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thomas A said:

Thomas
http://www.hoppyaimers.com/b4a.htm

Yes, they are there for these type of adjusters. A lot of shops have them because their state requires them to have them, but most don't ever use them. If your floor is level enough, you can use a wall mounted chart. The tool actually is calibrated to the slope of your floor.

·
Registered
455 Posts
its a lot more fun with em aimin up and blindin people anyway :) the headlights look great without the nubs, and he got em to the point where you really gotta get down to notice where the nubs were. post pics bro!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts