TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up an extra set of headlights. I was wondering what the easiest way to take them apart was? I am trying to clean them up, inside and out. But the glue is really strong. I've tried prying at it, but I am cracking the housing in some spots. THanks for the replies.

Edit: Forgot to mention this is for th 89-90 headlights.

·
Registered
825 Posts
heat em up a lil with a hair dryer or i heard of puting them in the oven at a low low temp like 100 on a cookie sheet

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I got one apart. One more to go. I am being very careful, using a knife first, then using a series of different screw drivers to pry them apart and cut the glue. It's going pretty good so far.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
is the glue a grayish color? i remember prying apart a set of 89-90's and it was tough. that glue was rubber-like. clean out all the glue and reseal with clear silicone.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Mike, the glue was greyish, and very strong. For the second light, I set it above our fire place, and that helped ALOT. I actually just pulled it apart afterwards. I wish I would have thought of that to begin with.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Question. After wet sanding the outter lens, what compound is best to clean it up?

·
Registered
825 Posts
any heavy cut polish inside and out then fine cut polish any kind works I use a drill and bonnet or a buffer power tools rule :cool:

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, so far with them I have: wet sanded with 1000 and 2000, inside and out. Compound, polish, and wax. I took them outside to compare with the current ones on the car, and they are indeed better. I'm still going to get what Mike suggested and use that as the last step and see how they turn out. I didn't think working on them would take this long.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, they didnt have it there Mike, where else would I be able to find it at?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what they look like so far.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked around for about 5-10 mins walking up and down the isles. I know what it looks like cause I was at their website. I'm going to try Advanced Auto Parts and Autozone to see if they carry it.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Alright, I got ahold of that Scratch Out and applied it to the lenses. I have one more question, I believe. In the picture below, that thing around the bulb, is that neccessary to have? What does it do? Does it give a more narrow beam as apposed to a wider beam? Should I leave it in there or take it out?

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mike, here are the pictures:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts