TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rewired the headlight circuit to run off two relays powered directly off the main distribution box. I added one fuse terminal to a blank unused cavity in the distribution box. This supplies switched power to two relays. I used the factory headlight power circuits to actuate the relay coil circuits and ran 14 gauge wiring from the relays to the headlights. This supplies what is essentially charging system voltage to the lights. The normal circuitry runs small gage wiring through several connectors, through the dash wiring and through several switches and then out to the lights, so there is an appreciable voltage drop out at the headlights. My headlights are noticably brighter! I used a 20 amp mega fuse, 14 gage wiring on all of the power circuits and used two spike suppression 40 amp Bosch relays. I have them mounted on the metal support directly under the box. Hey, I was off today and had some time to play with!

Mitch

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Did you get a voltage reading to the bulb? I'm curious as to how much it increased from the stock 12.6 or whatever.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
conversion02 said:
Did you get a voltage reading to the bulb? I'm curious as to how much it increased from the stock 12.6 or whatever.
I did not. I can say, however, that the qualitative difference is very noticable. I'd say the low beam output increased by 30 - 40%. The improvement was immediately apparent. You or someone else can take voltage readings on your car at the headlight socket. Post your results please.

Mitch

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is the best thing you can do for your headlights. I did the T-Bird as soon as I got her, and did my Bronco many many years ago. On both I replaced the headlight plugs and used 12 ga wiring all the way around. This also makes it easy to make the low's stay on with the hi's; you just add a jumper wire (w/ diode) between the relays.

:zbeer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts