TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace both headlights in my 1991 T-bird. I am sick of cleaning them every couple of months due to yellowing of the lights.

I have replaced a lot of headlights on other cars BUT can't figure out how to remove the existing headlights.

The guy at the auto parts store said I would probably need snapring pliers to remove the old lights. That's all he said.

Anybody have instructions and/or diagrams on how to remove the lights ?

Do I need snapring pliers to remove the lights ?

Thanks

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Headlight Removal

Here's how the Ford Shop Manual says to do it..

Removal

1.Place headlamp switch in the OFF position.

2.Disconnect wiring connectors from each of two bulbs on Thunderbird. Disconnect single connector at headlamp bulb and connector at parking lamp on Cougar.

3.Remove three metal retainers, attaching lamp assembly to grille opening panel, from the rear of panel.

NOTE: Use snap-ring pliers to spread retainers, then pull straight upward to disengage.
:D

If you really want to get fancy..Grab one of these:
HeadLight Clip Removal Tool [MAC Tools Part#FRC2155].JPG

This is a Ford Headlight Clip Removal Tool by MAC Tools

All your big names like Snap-On, and MAC both make this tool..I've never seen it sold in any store though..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
Or you could do it hot rod style and use a flat-blade screwdriver and pair of pliers...

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I just received my new headlights so I plan on tackling it this weekend or next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Headlight Removal

Here's how the Ford Shop Manual says to do it..

Removal

1.Place headlamp switch in the OFF position.

2.Disconnect wiring connectors from each of two bulbs on Thunderbird. Disconnect single connector at headlamp bulb and connector at parking lamp on Cougar.

3.Remove three metal retainers, attaching lamp assembly to grille opening panel, from the rear of panel.

NOTE: Use snap-ring pliers to spread retainers, then pull straight upward to disengage.
:D

If you really want to get fancy..Grab one of these:
View attachment 21330

This is a Ford Headlight Clip Removal Tool by MAC Tools

All your big names like Snap-On, and MAC both make this tool..I've never seen it sold in any store though..

Rayo..
I'm trying to locate this tools but no luck I even tried MAC Tools website

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Nothing wrong with snap ring pliers! They work a treat to get them off - and on! - for 89-95 or -96 headlights.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,526 Posts
That was usually my approach. Sometimes I wedged a little screwdriver in on the sides to free the clip as I pulled/rocked on the extra stubborn clips.

I won't lie though, not all of them survived the process repeatedly. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
Gripping them with channel locks and pulling up on them whilst rocking them back and forth usually frees them. I never had much luck with snap ring pliers since the clips are as much a friction fit that need upward force to remove that snap ring pliers are useless for.
So far I've not had that problem. Maybe it's the snap ring pliers you're using? Perhaps something upscale from Hazard Fraught?

RwP

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
1 - 13 of 13 Posts