TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, folks...

Just a quick experience with headlight restoration.

I've thought about replacing the assemblies for quite some time, but pricing is a tad prohibitive at present, since there are more important things I need to do (shocks, springs...)

I did the sanding treatment a couple times last summer, and noticed an improvement, though I was not 100% satisfied. While performing a recent search on the web, I came across a product that sounded intriguing. Since a few music jobs rolled in, I decided to take the plunge, and purchase it. I was about to buy it from their website, when I found it available on eBay for a few dollars less in price and shipping.

I tried it out, and was amazed at the results. The restoration went without a hitch, and I am impressed at how well the headlights illuminate the road. I was a very noticable improvement.

I'm not plugging anything, just offering an alternative. Information about the product is at this site. If I had a Polaroid or digital camera, I'd post photos. Nonetheless, it made a very noticable difference, one I am pleased with.

--Pete

·
Registered
286 Posts
i am thinking both those cars are sables... the one on bottom maybe an older on though. doesnt look like a tbird to me.

and the car on top... the blue sable, looks like those yellow headlights are photoshoped to be yellowed.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
silver one isnt a tbird. the hood makes it look like a 94/95, but below the headlight on the 94/95s the bumper is smooth and doesnt have the crease.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I hope you're right about the product. I'm gonna give it a try and buy it on eBay. If it does work it'll probably cost less than all the sandpaper I bought, haha. I'll try it out and post my testimonial and perhaps some pictures.

Before

After

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
We should do a "guess the car" thing based on a photo of the headlights. haha. Hey that stuff sounds good I'm gonna look for some on eBay.
-Thomas

·
Registered
143 Posts
uhhh guys... the silver car is a Toyota Corolla, about a 91-94

James

(I'm sure because I spent two whole days waxing my Pastor's Corolla trying to get the paint to look a little better... to no avail.)

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
WE HAVE A WINNER! You get....nothing. :D
-Thomas

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
hey.. will this stuff work on that black plastic around our doors/windows???

hmm.. can someone who has this try it out? i am close to buying it.. ..but if it does that too.. i will definitely get it..

is that black stuff plastic??

JD

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jamesd: I think the black trim around the windows is a rubber-type compound. I just replaced the mouldings on the rear window today, and noticed the 'black' is a rubberish coating on an aluminum moulding. Regarding the side trim, I think it's rubber, also. I'm not sure if the product can be used on rubber, though I'd think that the manufacturer would let you know via email. Mother's brand carries a black trim cleaner (something to think about).

Additional info: the eBay seller has a website he lists the product on, but at a slightly higher price: www.sernasport.com. His eBay auction on this product comes and goes - one just ended about two days ago.

The kit has three main treatments: a preparation solution, a cleaning compound, and a protectant. Also included is a pair of 'gloves' and several sheets of toweling, used for applying the solutions, etc., and buffing.

The protectant looked a lot like an Armor-All type of protectant, so, instead of using that, I used "Mother's Plastic Polish" with UV protection. Since that polish is readily available at auto parts stores, I'm applying it twice a week for a few weeks. I spent about 45 minutes treating the lenses; my first step was to wash the lenses (with water - not Windex!); the second step was to apply the prep solution to each lens; the third step was to use the cleaning compound on each lens; the fourth step was to buff each lens. I repeated steps 2, 3, and 4 a total of 4 times, then polished them with the plastic polish.

Still, after a couple weeks, I am impressed with the Bright Solutions product. Please note that in my case, the lenses aren't 100% clear (I didn't disassemble the headlight assembly, so the border (where the lens is affixed to the housing) is a tad yellowed - still, it doesn't affect luminosity).

Had I thought more about photos, I would've taken some yesterday (bright sunlight!). Too hazy today, and rain expected for a couple days....I will keep my camera handy for the weekend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have also used the Brite Solutions materials and I am very pleased. The lights look great, much better than any of my other solutions. But even more impressive is the effect on night time vision. My headlights do a noticably better job of illuminating the road.

This stuff is good.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since it's been more than 30 days since I bid on that item, I can't retrieve the actual auction. however, www.sernasport.com is the seller's web page, and he sells things on eBay under the name Sernasport. Under the Smart Search option on eBay, you can search by seller. He doesn't have the product listed currently, though it was listed about a week ago. His website has it listed for $24.95, plus shipping (~$4). He sent it to me via Priority Mail, so he's not inflating the shipping fee at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts