TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, is there a purpose for the ribs and texturing in the plastic of the headlight on the inside? I was thinking of sanding it off to make them smooth and clear. Am I gonna regret it when I go for my next state inspection?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it won't be easy. Can't get a power sander in there, but I think it will be worth it. I will have some help, but even if I can't get it 100% clear I can always try clear coat over it.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
There's most definately a purpose, it's to spread the beam. The 96-97's have a prism in front of the bulb and the rear of the housing is also prismed to change the way the light projects, the 89-95 headlights are smooth inside and bare bulb, your headlight will look like a flashlight if you sand the refractors off the lense. You will also be one cop away from being told to put new headlight lenses on or keep the car off the road. Since you said inspection, no, the car will come no-where near passing with those lights, sorry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bah, well thanks for the info. Would not have been too happy if I had to buy new ones.

·
Registered
554 Posts
:zwthstpd: What he said..... Those lil ruffles make your headlights work.... Although I still say the best headlights ford ever made were the 95 - 97 grand marquis headlights. They were perfect.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I got mine almost as good as new after goin to town on them with rubbing compound and polish. The light beam was just fine afterwards, actually alot better since they were clear after that lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well what do you guys think about painting the bottom section of the low beam chrome? I know it will make it a bit brighter, but right now it's the only thing keeping my headlights from looking quite how I'd like them to.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,512 Posts
better idea

i may be wrong on this, but on the earlier style headlights the glue used to keep the lense on is a yellowish color and makes the whole assembly look dark. if i were you, i would remove the lense from the housing, polish the lense front & back and get all the old glue off and replace it with clear silicon glue. just my $.02

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I already have polished the front sides and removed the old glue and used silicone. That glue on there was really awful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts