TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was fixing my windshield washer reservoir on my 89 sc and noticed it had two pumps… One was for winshield and the other was for headlights. There was 2 nozzles per headlight. The pump is GM 90127502

Is the headlight washer factory installed or did the previous owner install it themselves? The car is all original and 80k miles, so its hard to believe they went trough the trouble to install it themselves for something I think is useless… The pump was completely seized and leaking from the mounting hole so I took it off for now.

The car also has a theft alarm system that I noticed first time when it went off, is that also home installed?

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,588 Posts
That's a GM ( General Motors) part number 🤔

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
9,199 Posts
Could be a European export thing.

Joe

·
Administrator
14,486 Posts
Could be a European export thing.

Joe
Definitely a European thing. Reminds me of an experience I had once upon a time ...

When I was in Panama in the Military the locals would offer to wash your windshield while you waited at stop lights around the city. They were just hustling for a $1 or whatever change you'd give them. I've got to admire their creativity and tenacity. In some places they were pretty aggressive. They'd be out there with a water bottle with a hole poked in the lid and rags to wipe with. They certainly wouldn't get the window clean and would often just smear the Pretty sad if ya stop to think about it.

If you didn't want to participate in the hustle you'd just wave them off and turn your wipers on if they were more persistent we'd hit them with the cars washer fluid. We used to joke about the Panamanian windshield washers union.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,483 Posts
If the alarm has the indicator on the instrument cluster and not a separate LED somewhere on the dash it's likely the factory one.

When I was a kid I used to think the Mercedes models with the tiny little headlight wipers epitomized classy luxury, it was funny to later learn it was just some compliance thing. Any pics of the bird with the placement of the washers, I'd be curious to see how hey looked, there's all sorts of interesting adaptations these had outside the NA market

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,641 Posts
Post some pictures. I'd love to see the whole setup.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,641 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Neat and interesting!

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Definitely a European thing. Reminds me of an experience I had once upon a time ...

When I was in Panama in the Military the locals would offer to wash your windshield while you waited at stop lights around the city. They were just hustling for a $1 or whatever change you'd give them. I've got to admire their creativity and tenacity. In some places they were pretty aggressive. They'd be out there with a water bottle with a hole poked in the lid and rags to wipe with. They certainly wouldn't get the window clean and would often just smear the Pretty sad if ya stop to think about it.

If you didn't want to participate in the hustle you'd just wave them off and turn your wipers on if they were more persistent we'd hit them with the cars washer fluid. We used to joke about the Panamanian windshield washers union.
You will find that in downtown Toronto as well. At least around the mid 90's to mid 2000's when I lived in the area. Everyone called them the "squeegee boys". I was in school back then and if you didn't do well enough it wasn't uncommon to be told, "you don't want to end up a squeegee boy". :ROFLMAO: Probably not allowed to joke about that anymore.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
When I was a kid I used to think the Mercedes models with the tiny little headlight wipers epitomized classy luxury, it was funny to later learn it was just some compliance thing.
It is funny because I thought the same thing up until now. I remember old Volvos that were lower option models came with them in this market. It all makes sense now... :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts