TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: My 1997 T-bird developed a headlight problem last week. When I manually or let the lights turn on automatically they just can't stay on continuously. When I use the turn signals , or even just wiggle the turn signal lever , the headlights only go off, and more wiggling brings them back on ( parking lights work fine ). Now changing lanes at night leaves me in the dark. I am sure some kind of contact points in the steering column are to blame , but what has anyone done to fix the situation? Turning the headlight switch on the instrument panel has no effect on the problem , just the lever can bring them back on or turn them off. Aarghh.
This must be somewhat widespread , so come on guys!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I'd bet on a bad MFS (Multifunction switch). They're fairly easy to change, and you can get one at a salvage yard if you don't mind using salvage electrical parts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How to remove a MFS: step one thru . . .

So does the steering wheel come off for this? Or , does it come right off the column? I am assuming it's at the end of the signal/headlight dimmer lever.
I visit the wreckers just to window shop , so used parts are fine too.
thanks for your quick help, edman

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The plastic covering around the column is divided into upper and lower halves. Find the screws/bolts that hold them together, and you can remove them exposing the "insides". From there its not hard to see how everything is attached. And no, the wheel doesn't have to come off.

Sorry I can't be more help, but its been while since I replaced a MFS.

·
5,650 Posts
Yes there's three screws going through the bottom of the plastic housing around the steering column holding the two halves together. First you have to remove the ignition lock cylinder. Do this by turning the key to the ON position. Then under the steering column you will see a little hole under where the lock cylinder is. Insert something small and long in there to push up on a pin that releases the lock cylinder. You may have to fumble around a bit until you get it. Pull the lock cylinder out. Now you can separate the two halves of the column cover. Then there's two screws that retain the MFS. Remove the electrical connection, and reverse to install. It's much easier than it sounds. For a first-timer it can be done in under 30 minutes.

I have a working used MFS for sale if you need it. Let me know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fourth screw unseen.

Got it done. Bought a new one from A-zone thru the net for a $23 discount. Job was not too hard. The fourth screw was deep within the dash panel, so I just had to let the interior plastic break to take the two halves off. Now all is well. Thanks for the tips. Not only do the lights stay on , but my finicky right front turn signal now works like new again too. I took the old one apart and found the copper contacts grooved as well as turning green.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.