TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my dumb question. I have a 91 cougar with a headlight problem. The other night coming home from work my headlights shut off and would come back on while driving ( made for an interesting ride home). For the first 10 minutes, they worked fine. The they started going on and off, at the same time I noticed that the indicator light for the autolights was going on and off with the headlights. So, I disconnected the auto light module. this did not help. I flipped the lights to high beam and they would stay on a little bit longer but still would go on and off. While on high beam, the high beam indicator would go out with the lights. And to beat all, if I pulled back the dimmer to passing lights, the high beams would stay on, but the low side would still go on and off. I don't think it is the headlight switch. I'm thinking that it is either the mutlifunction switch in the column or a grounding issue. If anyone can lend me some ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, the first night that this happened, it was raining. But, it did it to me again tonight with no rain. I know that it wasn't a water issue. Wasn't sure on that side of it is why a chanced it again tonight. Hopefully, someone else has seen this and can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I would guess a bad MFS switch a very common problem on this car... you can get them from advance autoparts or from Ford I got mine from 93LX (he works for Ford)

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
i know there is a problem with the headlight switches in the eariler t-birds, i had a 90 and it turns out the headlamps draw too much current for the stock switch, so maybe you could look into that,

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
My '97 does this on the rare occasion. On mine, if I turn the switch off and on, they come right back on. It hasn't happened enough to detect any kind of pattern, and I don't feel like throwing parts at it. Post up your solution if you get it fixed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine did the same thing. It was the headlight switch. It was between 15-20.00 at Advance. I usually drive with my fog lamps on at night, which draws some extra current through it and wears it out even faster.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got em fixed!!

Thanks for the help. I swapped out the headlight switch over the weekend. They are working fine again. It was a little more than $15 bucks, but I also have the autolights. The switch wound up costing me $25. Wich is considerably cheaper than the $145 they want for the MFS. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts