TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Well, after a short drive attempting to home, someone was kind enough to point out that the headlights on my bird weren't on any more. I got back to the shop and sure enough, no headlights.

What happens:
The Hazard flashers work, turn signals do not.
Dimmer works inside on the dash.
Interior lights and underhood light works.
If I pull back on the switch for high beams, they do turn on, but pushing forward on the switch does not yield the same result, does not even register on the dash with the highbeam indicator.
Brake lights work, reverse lights work.

Here's what I have done so far:

Checked all fuses, none were blown
checked the bulbs, no burns, filaments totally intact.
Checked the highvoltage fuse, even swapped it with another 60Amp to make sure.
Banged my head against the wall while trying to surf through all of the posts about smoked headlights and FS postings while trying to find any information.

What I have found and what I think it could be:
MultiFunction Switch?
Light Switch
Gremlins.

Any ideas to narrow it down? I can't afford to go throw a ton of money at this problem, so what is the most likely culprit?

-Will
96 Thunderbird 4.6L
89 LeBaron 2.5L

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i'd say the gremlins did it.... lol. naw.. prolly the multifunction switch has gone south... just go look for one at a pick and pull... see if that helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It is the multi function switch.

I just replaced mine earlier yesterday. It is the turn signal arm and the electrical contact switch inside the steering column. See the edman post for some insight. Also , your lights might come on if you pull the flasher lever back first, or wiggle the lever until it makes electrical contact. It controls park lights , emerg flasher , windshield wiper , high-low beams , and turn signals. And , I didn't know anything until I posted just the other day too.
I bought mine thru the internet for pickup at my local store. Should be around $45.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You Ed,

I wasn't sure when I read your problem if that was even close. I suspected it could be. I'm purchasing one right now online and going to pick it up. Thanks again, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

-Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.