TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what there is to do to my yellowing headlights. I've heard from TV shows like Trucks and Horse Power that bleaching works well. I don't want to spend $100 apiece to make them look nice. Any other ideas, or anyone else had any luck with other methods?

Thanks,
-Jon

·
Banned
445 Posts
check out big_mike

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
or check ebay...i got a new set for $150

·
Banned
445 Posts
big-mike is cheaper than that I believe :D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I used wet/dry sand paper, 600 then 800, then Comet Soft Scrub, then a mild rubbing compound, then polish. It took about 45 mins on each one.

I bought the car new, and these are the originals. This was taken last weekend.

After cleaning, they need touched up with polish every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you do it inside and outside? Cause yeah definitly 150 for a pair is even too much, cleaning would be nice.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I did the outside only. They look as clear as water now. The only thing that shows, is the thin line of discolored glue holding the lens togeter on the upper edge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i have one lense that is clear and one that is yellow (long accident story) But i also have the corner lenses, and one of those is yellowing and the other is nice and neat. Can the corners be safely done?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
i make headlights look brand new. that includes getting rid of that pesky yellowed glue around the edges.

392 - that hood is :ztoohot:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good question, how do you get rid of the dis-colored glue? I just painted black around the edges.

·
Pawn Shop Pro
466 Posts
I was going to ask Big Mike to do some for me but I just figured ahhh the hell with it i'll just get some new ones and if those ones ever yellow then maybe big mike will help me out...:D

·
6,910 Posts
a new pair costs more than what i charge. its up to you though :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
they make a little cleaning kit that has a base,oxidation,final and after i put my clear corners on i needed to change the yellow fronts...worked great! dont even have to remove anything, can get the brand name for someone if they wanna go try it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
How do you get the head lights apart, I have 2 sets that are horrid and 1 set I need to do on the inside.

·
6,910 Posts
i use two thin flatblade screwdrivers to pry the lens and housing apart.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Getting them done by mike is the better way, unless you can do it yourself, but he's a pro at it by now. As for something you can do to make them look better for the time-being is to use some clear plastic cleaner/polish from Meguiar's.

You can see the one is still cloudy compared to the clear corner, but it's better than the other one.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
its as clean as its gonna get...my suggestion...jus paint over the part like shadow did or you can take the lens apart *not THAT hard* and clean off all the old factory glue and re-seal it with clear silicone glue...works wonders jus takin off the glue..cuz you can see that the lenses are clear but remain yellow in some areas...just replace the factory glue adn you'll be fine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts