TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Most of the weight is lead, or used to be. Density helps. :)

The aluminum layer reflects IR; all metals do, but aluminum doesn't have to be painted to not rust. :)

Don't let the aluminum touch heat, tho; it will pull even more heat thru the panel, by spreading the heat source out even bigger areawise.

The headliner comes out the passenger side door, if you move the seat all the way back, and lay the seat as flat as possible.
It Exactly clears the door.

It is Fragile: DO NOT let it bend, especially where the thin parts are around the sunroof. :D ycmv.

Lazarus's headliner got recovered, then had a cat sleep on it while it was drying, laid across some stuff in the garage.
This is NOT good for said headliner; I'm going to use it as a template to make something better. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Thanks Greg! I was wondering how to get it out the door as Rod had mentioned. Fortunately I don't have a sunroof so the piece is solid. I still will be extra careful with it for sure!

The aluminum is sandwiched between the other two layers and not exposed, so I guess that's good to go.

The radio arrived today and shows a manufactured date of February of this year!

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The sunroof material looks like yellow fiberglass with some "Thickening Agent" applied to it, and then formed.

It's way more delicate than fiberglass, however.

I used a rough scotch-brite pad to finish removing the old foam; you can't glue to it, so it's gotta come off. Gently. :)

Extra style points if you cover it in leather. :devilish:

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,501 Posts
Thanks Greg! I was wondering how to get it out the door as Rod had mentioned. Fortunately I don't have a sunroof so the piece is solid. I still will be extra careful with it for sure!

The aluminum is sandwiched between the other two layers and not exposed, so I guess that's good to go.

The radio arrived today and shows a manufactured date of February of this year!
Same method applies with or without the sunroof, it’s one piece regardless. The trick that makes it possible is to remove the passenger seat. It’s way more awkward in cougars but still easy once you know the process

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recovered my visors a couple weeks ago and I'll be doing the headliner soon, but I'm dreading it. My '89 headliner is disintegrating, the slightest touch turns the spot to dust and what's left of the foam pours down like sand. I don't see how I can remove it without making a huge mess.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You can't prevent the mess; just use drop cloths to contain the dust.

If it's that bad wear a real mask, lol.

Is it just me or is that Cougar light a front seat? I didn't go that far. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
Same method applies with or without the sunroof, it’s one piece regardless. The trick that makes it possible is to remove the passenger seat. It’s way more awkward in cougars but still easy once you know the process

View attachment 38436
You're able to turn it 90 degrees with the door open... guess so? Thanks so much for the picture!

Was there ANY sound damping in the roof other than that one spot in your previous picture? I'm curious how mine looks.

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Yeah, I just saw that in TM's post. My reading comprehension is crap, apparently.

My bad! :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got mine in with a roll bar installed sunroof car too. You can do it! Now I get to take it back out because a mouse got up there and chewed some wires and the corner of the sunroof motor hole. I'm upset about my pristine liner being messed up.

·
Super Moderator
12,549 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to see that Chris. Hope you're doing well.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts