TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is the headliner to take off, i was thinking of taking it out and resinstalling the backing with 1/4 foam in a flame pattern and gluing that to the backing and then recovering it in a black vinyl with a super adhesive

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
You need to remove the A-pillars, sail panels, sunvisors, and dome light to pull the headliner. As far as doing a custom headliner goes, it's a fair amount of work. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of the headliner I just finished in my DOHC 90 XR7.

-Rod

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx man, i knew i had to remove all of the panels i have taken them out before so im not worried about that but yeah i want to see some pics thanx

·
Registered
811 Posts
Htnhre2 said:
How hard is the headliner to take off, i was thinking of taking it out and resinstalling the backing with 1/4 foam in a flame pattern and gluing that to the backing and then recovering it in a black vinyl with a super adhesive

Good luck man, use some really good glue. I have read the at the heat will just melt the pattern off (so to speak).

racecougar: I wan to see some pics.

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
Here you guys go:

I reupholstered the headliner with stripes inlayed into it to match the stripes on the body of the car. I also had to slightly reshape the front of the headliner to fit the overhead console. The overhead console has a polished aluminum switch panel to control a few things on this car.

And here is a picture of how the headliner looked before I laid the fabric on it:

And to the aggrevation of the 56k'ers out there (hey, I'm one too), here is a pic of the current state of the interior:

-Rod

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is pretty cool, what exactly does the console do and what did you pull it out of?

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
RAYBROADWAY said:
That is pretty cool, what exactly does the console do and what did you pull it out of?
racecougar said:
The overhead console has a polished aluminum switch panel to control a few things on this car.
The console houses the switch panel. IIRC, it's from a 2002 Chevy Silverado.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
Thanks. Normally, I use the bottom DIN slot for a switch/gauge panel, but one of my triple gauge panels is already taking up that space in this car. So, I had to get creative with the switch panel placement.

-Rod

·
The Parts Guy
7,274 Posts
Search for headliner adhesive on the internet. There are plenty of places online that sell it. It took 1 full can to attach the foam striping to the headliner, and another two full cans to attach the fabric.

-Rod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts