TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some 98 GT heads with stock cams and rollers installed. The heads are P&P'd and ready to go. The intake is a stock 98GT intake with injectors. I'm trying to find out exactly what extra parts, (if any), I would need to make this swap. I've got a 94 4.6L. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what would be good modifications to add to this swap, (i.e.: T-body/MAF/chips?).

Thanks

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
The swap wil require a bunch of other parts to transform the 94-5 style intake setup to the 96+ configuration. It's late (330AM) and off the top of my head you will need the following parts...

EGR tube (94-5 RT 96-7 LT)

96-7 MN12 Fuel rails
96+ Air intake tube
96+ TB
96+ TB adapter
96+IAC and IAC tube/box
96-7 MN12 fuel lines going from the filter to the fuel rails (not mandatory)
96+ EGR valve
96+ T-stat housing
96+ PCV tube
Vac line harness
EGR, IAC, TB, TB adapter and intake manifold gaskets.

You should get a chip/MAF if you plan on doing this or any major upgrade. If it were me I would wait and get a complete motor that has all the little stuff already included.
You will also have to undoo the 94-5 engine harness and cut and make some wires longer for the different locations of the IAC, EGR, and throttle body.

-Scott

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Get a set of '99-up cams,and put them in those heads,and re-use all the rest of your '94-'95 stuff on those heads.Port match your aluminum intake to those heads since they are ported,and enjoy..You won't be disappointed.
JL

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I'd listen to Johnny on this one. The 99+ cams are the biggest difference in the 99+ PI heads. And go with your stock intake, it'll be cheaper, and it can easily be ported to match the intake ports. Its also got shorter runners for more high rpm power.

EDIT: I just realized the first reply was from Dr. Frankencougie. If he says to do something, don't argue. Simple as that. ;)

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I never really dug the 94-5 intake setup so I guess I am a little biased towards re-using it but I think I always seem do things the hard way anyway:confused: . Now that the MN12's are gone in the hearts of Big Blue the "little" parts needed are getting very expensive. If you found a junkyard 96-7 with a blown motor you could rape all the small parts needed for less cash if you were dead set on using the 98 intake.

-Scott

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Scott, is polishing all you ever do in your spare time? I can nearly see my reflection in your polish work, and they're only pics on the internet! :)

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
The funny thing is I never used that intake because of the odd shaped PI ports and I spent many hours polishing it. I wound up dumping it in the Alum melt down dumpster along with the old heads.

I clean everything.

-Scott

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
ACK!!! You junked that intake? I was considering asking if you still had it so I could buy it from you! :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
what do you need to do to the TB to swap it around,can you re-use it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dr. FrankenCougie's post

Could you give me a ball park idea of what those extra parts would run? I'm kinda new to this, but from your post, it almost doesn't seem worth it, (the swap). Am I wrong here? My friend gave me these parts, so I'm not out of pocket or anything, however, it sounds like it will be pretty expensive to mount the 98 GT intake/heads.

The intake has fuel rails and injectors installed. Do you know anyone in the Colorado area that specializes in this type of stuff?

Thanks for the good info earlier.

Tank

·
Registered
27 Posts
prices for extra parts

i would definatly look in getting power improved cams if your doing all that work. how i look at it is,if you were putting on the pi heads this would need to be done,but since you are using the non-pi head you dont "have to" make the changes,and it might or might not be worth it to you.but,i just talked to Randy Stinchcomb (410-655-2000) at Universal Ford in Baltimore,i asked what all i would need for the 94-95 upgrade to 96+ manifold,he added it all up in a couple minutes and it was like less than 250.00,for the extra parts(minus the fuel rails)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, $250 isn't too bad at all. Of course I'll have to buy the PI cams. Don't have a clue what they are running. Would this job require the services of someone who specializes in this type of thing, or can any reputable mechanic handle it. I'm new to Colorado Springs and don't know too many garages around here.

Thanks
Tank

·
Registered
27 Posts
mustangs-look for a speed shop that does headswaps for mustangs,the cams are only a buck and some change each;so that wont kill you either.i would get on the corral and see who in your area that could be recomended.thats what i did,HEY it worked for me!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.