TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all the threads related to ram air, air silencer, K&N cone vs stock air box and so on. I made a decision to

1) Remove the silencer
2) Go with a K&N cone
3) Keep the filter out of the fender well (I drive it daily, year-round)

I want colder air, but don't want the high maintenance of the cone in the wheel well. I personally believe the K&N is a better option than paper and better than the panel.

So, my question is: What have been the various ways that you have made a heat shield? I have a 92 LX 3.8L. Any suggestions?

(Am I gonna start another debate here?

:p

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Read this, then make your decision:
http://66.96.130.106/archives/2002/03/coldair/index.shtml
The stock air box/filter is fine to above 300 HP
The earlier air silencers did have some restriction at peak RPM, and do sound great with them removed. I would stay with the stock airbox till you are above 300 HP, then go to a cone and larger tube, but only after getting some type of heat shield to make sure the cone is getting only outside air. A cone filter with out a heat shield will sound great, BUT actually have less power because of the hotter intake air temp.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
And by drawing in hotter air by not using a heat shield, you'd be MUCH more prone to engine knock. Which can destroy an engine pretty quick since our cars don't have knock sensors. Or do they? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I finished reading the article. No arguing with test results.

One point that they made was that the flat panel filter was about the same as the conical. I have a 9inch conical already that I special ordered. I would have to say that there is more area in the 9 inch.

Not to belabour this, but any effort in lowering the temperature of the air and maximizing air flow would help. I just personally favour the conical oil bath for filtration and flow, with a heat shield.

As well, I haven't removed or modified the silencer. What actual difference in performance will this make. I haven't looked at it and do know what it consists of, other than from exterior views from the tech articles and some of the threads.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
The silencer is simply that. Just a tube that muffles intake noise. Removing it won't doing anything for your performance until you're making well over 300hp. It just allows you to hear more of a slight growl/vroom from the engine in everyday driving, and a much better vroom when you actually get in the gas.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a heatshild...

...but it is not installed on the car. I am still deciding if I am going to use it or not. I have an 80mm LMAF that I am waiting to put on the car. When I do that, I will either use the heatshield and go with the cone filter, or go with a K&N panel filter. I think that someone just recently went from a cone filter setup with a heatshield back to the stock setup with a panel K&N filter. The heatshield I have is made out of Lexan plexiglass, and was bought from a member of the club. I dont know if he is still making them or not though. If I dont use mine, you are welcome to buy it.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Here is one idea for you, it is made from plexi-glass and the box is fed from a large tube underneith. Cooler is better.

Who thinks a stock air box has better flow than this? Please reply.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
get some card board and make some templets out of it. Then get some plexi glass and cut it out with a band saw using the templets. Fasten it all together and seal it with sililone and tubingaround the outside edges. The glass should go between the MAF and filter for optimal sealing from the engine compartment.

Trial and error is the best way to do it.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Yeah, it's kinda hard to describe in detail over a message board.
Other than make templet, cut plexi-glass, fasten together, there really isn't anything more to it.
You can get some hinges from any hardware store, just depends on what kind of look you want.

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I got's some...

W&S Motorsports Atlanta's new and improved "Nice Box" Custom installed by the ONLY MN12 custom shop on the east coast.

The " W&S Motorsport Atlanta's NiceBox" is constructed using only the best materials available (a Pedigree dog food bucket) and lined inside with a layer of Styrofoam to keep this guy at bay.

The old school staple.

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
soop said:
Thanks for the instructions. I can't tell from the picture what the fasteners are, and it makes sense that it's built to easily get at and remove the filter for cleaning. I just want to save some time and effort and not reinvent the wheel.
Here's a better picture of one exactly like Big-Al's.
the 'L' brackets are nothing more than shelf hangers from Home Depot.
A few had to be ....modified to create the correct angle.
I Personally had a problem with fitting the 9" K&N in there with out moving the relay there under the lip of the frame, in that I found it impossible. And moving that relay became an even bigger problem. However there are those that got thier 9" to fit with out moving anything and also some that found a new place to mount the relay; though for the life of me I don't know how they did it.
I broke down and got a 6" S&B Power Stack. The 7" rubbs the Relay.
sorry the pics are so big...

You don't have to listen to me, just my experience.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
is the other sensor custom put behind the maf towards the throttle body? That's my only concern w/ buildling a custom intake is how im goin to mount that aircharge? sensor? is that what it is? oh and btw, that looks beautiful man

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
sensor

That's a 99 mustang GT intake tube, the sensor is in a diff place on them.
but if that's all you're worried about, just drill a hole in the side of your new box for it.
then seal it up with silicone or the like. It'll turn out mounted just like it was in the stock air box.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts