TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving last night, heat going and all was good. No warning at all, and the heat blower stopped blowing. Good vacuum on the position selection.. (panel, defrost, floor..etc..) I do hear the hissing when switching positions.

Checked fuse, changed fuse under hood. still nothing. any ideas? suggestions.. Stuck at my parents house with no heat and freezing rain.. this sucks.

Thanks in advance.

-Marc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have wiggled, pulled twisted.. checked switches.. connectivity is good.. for what I can tell.. don't think it would be the motor...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Two common things. The connector running the blower or the controller get flakey or the speed controller itself goes bad. Here is a picture of both the controller and the two connectors to look at

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, I went and just bought a new blower, thinking that it may be the culprit. No go. :( The blower does not work at all. did jump from the batt.. to the blower, and it does work. not sure where to go from here. do I need to just replace the whole console above my radio? :confused: I'm at a loss now. I really appreciate the help.

btw, I do not have the automatic climate control. just knobs.

-Marc

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Do you have that little box that is to the left of the red square in my picture? I'm afraid I don't know the parts involved with the manual climate control. If you have that little box just to the left of the red square in thepicture I posted that is the unit that controls fan speed on the auto climate birds. You may have something similar as there still needs to be some sort of resister pack to vary fan speed. If you have a volt meter start checking for voltage at the switch and go from there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I've been testing voltages and am quite confused.. I have power at the switch that turns fan off and changes to panel/floor/defrost.... that works as voltage goes away when switch turned. on the other switch.. (fan speed..) get no voltages... at the fan.. no voltage. is there a relay? possibly the part that is right below the blower that has 3 coils of wire in it?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Hmmmm. I can look this up when I get home in my helms manual but someone here may be able to get you an answer with an online manual sooner

·
Registered
39 Posts
On my '96 there is an additional fuse on the side of the fusebox under the dash, I think it's a 30 amp, 2 blade standard. It's in a plastic single fuse holder and has a cover you have to pop open to remove the fuse. It's like Ford said "Oops forgot 1" and added it on the side:confused:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
try cleaning teh contacts on the wires, and teh blower motor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
did he verify that he has the semi-auto climate control. if so do you have power at the control unit. there is a self-test for the unit itself. being that if it does not work then it cannot send the signal to the blower mtor controller and so forth. i wil ltry to find the self test.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bringing this thread back to life... I was able to jump the wires behind the heat control, and have a fan working. I was thinking the switch for the fan, (the one that says A/C, PANEL, FLOOR, DEF... etc.. So, I finally got off my lazy cheap tail, and got a new heater control. Still nothing.

Also, now something new. Yesterday, I noticed now I don't have dash lights. Some testing later, here is what happens.

Turn headlights/parking lights on, dash lights on for half a second, then off. (this is with the dimmer up all the way bright.) Turn the headlights on with the dimmer down low, lights come on, for a little bit, the dimmer switch gets really hot, then lights come on all the way, then off. when at the bone yard getting the heater control, got a new dimmer switch thinking that was the problem, same thing is happening.

Am at everyone's mercy, am getting close to my wit's end.

-Marc

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Have you tried grouding out the wire that goes to the autotemp coolant sender on the back of the motor. Basically it won't turn the heater fan on until it senses the coolant is warm enough. If that sendor goes bad it might prevent the fan from coming on

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Mard,

You might want to try making the Iowa Super Coupe meet at the Godfather's on 6th St. Saturday at Noon. Maybe the guys can help you out.

I would be there, but something came up and I can't get there this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you find & check the fuse I mentioned earlier in this thread? Piggybacked on the side of the fusebox. I found a pic I can email if you want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not sure of the piggyback fuse. pic would be helpful.

PS, sat won't work. I'll be testing for CR Police, and thats at noon. Suppose I could always stop over there sometime anyway though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
ok. had to run out for a bit. When I got home, I decided to look for this piggyback fuse, I found it, opened it, and wow. I have never seen a fuse so toasted. crazy. replaced it, and now my fan controls work without my jumpers. hooray!!! thank you.

now if I could only get the interior lights to work...

ps, I may be able to stop by the godfathers.. tomorrow if my testing is later in the day, I won't know until tomorrow..

thanks again for everyones help.

-Marc

1 - 19 of 19 Posts