TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been dealing with heater cores since the mid-'70's. On Classic Mustangs before I had the "84 bird. I agree with most of what was offered as possible problems, but I want to add one more. If you happen to be doing something else under the hood, and try and move the heater hoses even a little bit to get some clearance, you will most likely cause the outlet and inlet tubes to crack at the solder seams. I've had this happen to mine, I know, and right before I could warn my bud not to move them on his "90 'Stang, he did it to his. Well, I can't approach some of your records with this being my 3rd in this car since I have had it, but I decided I was tired of taking all day and taking the dash out. Since I was a sheet metal mechanic by trade, I decided to cut a hole in the firewall and side of the heater box, then the core can just be slid out. The new core is in, but I am in the process of making the cover panel. I am also going to brace the hoses to a bracket that will keep it from moving in any other way than the core moves by using the bolt that holds the heater box in, and some other bolts I may have to install to the heater box through the hole I cut. I am new to this site, don't know if there is a place to post step by step pix, but if so maybe someone could give me some instructions. Otherwise, I plan to post them on Yahoo pix, probably. I'll keep y'all informed on how it ends up.

Good luck,

Bob

21 - 21 of 21 Posts