TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace a heater core on a 95 4.6 t-bird, and what would it consist of? Do you have to take out the engine or unbolt 9 million things? Reason why im asking is because there is a t-bird here for sale and they want 2200 dollars for it and they said that the heater core went out of it the other day. It has 137,000 miles on it so i dont know if the heater core is a sign of worse things to come or maybe it will run forever.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Heater core removal in a nutshell:

1. Disconnect the battery to prevent the air bag from going off.
2. Do not touch the AC system throughout this procedure. It is recommended that you take the car to a mechanic and have the AC gas discharged.
3. Drain the cooling system.
4. Remove the instrument panel.
5. Disconnect the AC lines going through the firewall.
6. Disconnect the heater hoses going through the firewall.
7. Disconnect the black vacuum supply hose from the inline vacuum check valve in the engine compartment.
8. Disconnect the blower motor and remove the ducts.
9. From under the hood disconnect the two nuts retaining the heater/ evaporator case to the dash panel.
10. In the passenger compartment remove the screw attaching the heater/ evaporator case support bracket to the cowl top panel.
11. Remove the nut retaining the bracket below the heater/ evaporator case to the dash panel.
12. Pull the heater/ evaporator case out.
13. Remove the core access cover.
14. Remove the tube seal and lift the cores out.

Look at it on the bright side. You do not have to pull the motor.

·
8,239 Posts
:) 2200 dollars makes me laugh out loud.

I called several shops when mine popped and I didn't want to do it, they ranged from 400 bucks to 500 bucks. Its an 8 hour job for a newbie. Call around dude if you don't want to do the work. Not the dealership either, lol.

You basically have to drop the steering column, pull the dash, and seats, and saw the old core out of the car, and put in a new one.

Not a fun job at all, but a job that doesn't require too many tools, just a shop manual if you don't know how to pull a dash out.

The last one I did in about 4-5 hours with a few breaks.

edit-- the ford manual says you have to evacuate the a/c system, but this is BS. I have done several of them, and you don't even have to touch anything resembling the a/c system. Sir William has an awesome how to somewhere, PM him for info, he will send you the PDF.

JH

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, you have to pull the dash, I did mine without yanking it all the way out, but it was pretty close. A dealership would charge you over a grand to do it. It's a tedious, time consuming job, but it's a lot cheaper if you do it yourself. I've actually been lucky and only have had to replace mine once in 137,000 miles, but some people have done 2 or 3 in their cars. It's actually a common reason why people who don't know about mechanics sell TBirds, because of the price involved in having a shop do it.

·
8,239 Posts
well, did i mention it was about 45 degrees outside, and we did it in my driveway?

(I have no garage)

We were drinking coffee this time, lol, no brews.

JH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts