TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... does anyone know around how much it will cost or how long it will take to replace the heater core in a 96 thunderbird. Also if anyone can tell me how to do it I would aprreciate it... I saw a site for someone who did it on a an earlier model and it looked pretty intensive. Thanks.... I need my car and its leaking coolant from under the gove box...HELP

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
First one took me 2 weeks. Second one took me 6 hours. :D

There are some tricks that will NOT be listed in any manual. There is a writeup on the site in the tech articles section.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do not use a Ford replacement heater core. I was in the running for record number of heater cores blown in my old '97, 6 blown cores 2 years. And thats with a restrictor in place, and having the core grounded along the lines of the TSB. After the 6th one blew I had Ford install a non-Ford part and never had a problem again. I haven't heard of the current owner having a problem either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow....such a small annoying part and yet soo expensive and intensive to have replaced. Looks like I won't be using my car for a while. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you can do w/o heat for a while, you can just bypass the heater core and use your car untill you get around to fixing it.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
True. I drove my car with the core bypassed for two years before I did that article

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
timb said:
True. I drove my car with the core bypassed for two years before I did that article
i still have mine bypassed, but I call it a performance coolant bypass.:D

joseph

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If you want a FREE perfect heater and A/C core, come get them. Hint, you will have to remove them :) I dont need either one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jack K, do you remember what brand your non-Ford heater core was?

I need to replace the one in my Bronco.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts